Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW MANUFACTURE TUBE TYPE RADIOS  (Read 1890 times)
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2001, 10:52:36 AM »

Have to reply, all ready have the MODULATION TRANSFORMER shop! A hunk of iron is iron!
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2001, 03:05:19 PM »

It really comes down to this (okay, you already have the transformer part done)

1.  Solid conservative design that uses readily available components (e.g. tubes, meters, components) that is reproducable in a kit or semi-kit form.  (can a person with minimal electronics knowledge build it?)
Bill Orr and QST had some great designs in the 1950's and 60's that will only require minor upgrades (e.g. regulation in power supply)

2.  Transmitters / amplifiers:  The potential future interpretations of the FCC vs Martin case will make FCC type certification a potential requirement.  (hint: the FAA permits experimental aircraft builders with "points" of inspection)

3. Parts selection:  Select a theme for the rig that is a tribute to former USA manufaturers (Drake, Collins, Heathkit, Hallicrafters, Hammerlund, National)
If you use same paint colors, knobs, etc. you serve 2 markets.  The new "semi-kit" builder, the "boat anchor" restoration market and stop the "parts only" destruction of easily repairable radios  [think of the vintage / antique car business]

4. Punch metal.  Offer a "semi-kit" The case and punched chassis as well as transformer and specific front panel components (meter style) will be the items most builders will not have easy access to produce (like old Dynaco days).

Just a few thoughts - check out how many Elecraft Kits have been sold for the QRP market !

G. Beat
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2001, 01:41:13 PM »

My thoughts as I read this was that maybe the originator of this item isn't looking for a tube radio but something else. I too have been looking at the older radios. It struck me the other night as I searched E-bay auction, I really don't want a tube radio. What I want is a radio that looks like a radio. It has lots of big knobs, glows in the dark and is bigger than a small book. I guess I want a radio that looks like a radio of the old days. I still remember the "romance" of slowly turning the large knobs of the Hammarlunds, Swans and Nationals, among others; that "felt" like radio should feel. Don't get me wrong, I really love the IC-706 I have but still long for the feel of the older radios too. There is no way I could build a radio comparable to what I can buy now. Just assembling the parts needed would be beyond the costs of a new factory built unit. So, maybe we aren't looking for a past but remembering the past and that isn't so bad either. I loved my Drake, my Swan, my National (still have it) and the others, but EMP aside, I really prefer the new stuff. I miss the largeness of the old stuff. Maybe we would like to see the two worlds merge.  Maybe?
Frank
KL7IPV
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2001, 09:10:51 PM »

For a new company to bring a new product into a flat/declining market is riskly and not likely to survive.  Like the old adage goes, how do you make a small fortune in this type of market? Start with a large one.  What I would like to see is an existing company like MFJ/Ameritron come out with a kit for the AL8OB amplifier.  Now that would be interesting, but also not likely.
KD7HVL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2001, 08:09:58 PM »

I would like to add to all the other comments on this subject.  There are many now old timers out there that modified command transmitters built knightkit and heathkit equipment and in so doing learned a great deal about the hobbie and latter took that experience on with them into the work plaace and earned a living using what they learned from there building experiences.  I would want to believe that the hobbie as a whole would benifit from this sort of endevor.  The key to whether it would fly would be what came out of the effort put into the building projects.  I know many people that bought el craft kits just because they could build them.  I would like to see it become a realaty.  

Frank KD7HVL
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2001, 08:03:47 AM »

There is no market for tube type equipment in amateur radio with the exception of amplifiers. If there were the equipment would be there and available. When was the last time you saw an Ameco AC-1, or was it the AT-1? They didn't disappear because the manufacturer went out of business, but because the demand for them dried up.
  Amateur radio is a service of 1)intercommunications 2)self training 3) technical investigation.
  Whats holding you back from obtaining old QST's, CQ's, Ham Radio's, old ARRL manuals and purusing them in search of all the material you need to "roll your own"?
  And why do some of you place more value on high resale value of equipment than you do on the experience of obtaining parts, punching chassis, mounting, wiring, designing and redesigning ckts.while learning something?
  How many amateurs today even own an ARRL Handbook and refer to it? How about antenna manuals? Witness the number of folks who ask questions here and elsewhere that have obviously never attempted to do any research on their own into the subject!
  Whats preventing any of you from obtaining and restoring older tube type equipment?
  Amateur radio is a technical avocation. Were it not for that dimension, it would quickly become uninteresting.
RobertKoernerExAE7G

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2001, 04:30:10 PM »

A kit for 30 meters might work.  No need to worry about SSB or AM, driving a linear, a wide tunning range for the VFO, mic gain, etc.
Bob
KD6LM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2001, 06:45:25 PM »

Just noticed in the December 2001 issue of QST that a company is selling what appears to be newly manufactured versions of the old WRL Globe King radio. They say they have updated various parts like the power supply and VFO while incorporating some solid state parts. It will be interesting to see how well they do.
JERRY_MURRAY_EX_WQ2U

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2002, 01:09:02 AM »

Growing up with tube ham gear was not only a hobby or knowing which knobs do what, it was an education.  An education that led many of us to future careers and put the food on the table.  From Ohms law to Antenna theory, it was needed to maintain your station.  The rigs of today are nice and perform well but if they don't the only thing you learn is how to pay the manufacturer the $70. bucks or so an hour to repair them.  Once things went to solid state and flip flops and nors and nands etc. some outstanding things developed but I don't think it helped ham radio since  it left most people behind the curve unless you got your EE.  I still use and love tube gear but we may not need to go back to making the stuff.  We need to focus more on kits and plans for beginning hams to build receivers and transmitters and amplifiers.  Not just these little qrp rigs.  We also need someone to sell components to the little guy so he can do these things.  Not 5 pack resistors when he only needs 1 or 2. I think if it wasn't such a pain to get parts more people would build there own and learn in the process. You got me started! 73!

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: