Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP OmmniVII Vs Icom pro3  (Read 871 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2008, 08:02:05 PM »

I have a Icom 746, I am intersting in upgrading to a new HF rig but dont know if go with a Pro3 or a OmmniVII form ten tec, I am intersted in PSK31 and SSB mostly plus MARS, Any help would be appreciated
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 08:50:42 PM »

well the omni VII is a pretty good reciever that can be controlled from a computer if necessary over a cat 5 cable, and yuor 756 p3 is a slightly more competent version of the 746pro, more or less.  you can read the specs on both of them, and the tentec does have the 30 day trial period.  but I say it depends on your use.  if you do a lot of traveling and are some what computer savy, the omni VII may be your ticket.  if you are a dxer, contester or avid rag chewer, the 756 p3 may be better.  good luck on your choice.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 09:00:54 PM »

Well the Omni VII is supposed to be internet plug and play but several of my friends who used the radio ending up sending the radio back due to software problems through the radio internet port. Other than that the radio seemed to work fine.

The IC-756 Pro-III is an older design with the last firmware being a couple or years old. The good news is the radios is extremely will sorted out and has superb receive and transmit audio.

The biggest difference I see between the two radios is the spectrum scope on the Icom is a real time spectrum analyzer where the spectrum scope on the Omni VII looks more like an audio bar graph display.

You will find the Pro-III will probably be on sale at Dayton and many of the distributers will extend the Dayton pricing to out of area orders. I would expect to see pricing on the Pro-III down to $2400 and change by Saturday.  

I don’t know if TenTec will have any discount sales at Dayton. Their pricing doesn’t change much at shows.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 02:51:02 AM »

K3
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 04:10:30 AM »

If you were interested in CW, the Omni wins, but for your interests the Pro might be a better choice.  Both are good rigs.
Do take a look at the K3, it just might be a good choice!  The "waiting list" is now lowering.
73s.

-Mike.
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 02:18:21 PM »

So for what I get here PRO3 is a better Radio for SSB
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 05:45:06 PM »

I'm afraid this is one of those questions where you really need to see the two rigs in person.  Forgetting the differences in features and specs for a moment, I think the screen on the Omni VII is vastly inferior to that on the Pro III.  I was all set to buy an Omni VII until I saw one at the Charlotte hamfest in 2007.  The screen is very hard to read at anything other than a straight-on angle.  By the time Dayton rolled around, Tentec had changed the display pedestal for the Omni VII to bring it up to eye level so you wouldn't notice the problem.  It's rare to hear anyone mention this shortcoming, but in a rig of that price you don't have to settle for what looks like a display out of an early 1990s color notebook PC.  Just make sure that you see the Pro III screen on the same day so you know how good it can be.  There are other good reasons why someone might prefer an Omni VII over the Pro III, but it was impossible for me to get past this.
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 05:49:51 PM »

yeah so dor what you said is what is so hard . I have seen the pro3 in person but not the omniVII, how ever I heard good things about, but I dont think enough to decide, in other hand I ma afraid to buy the pro3 and Icom few months later comes with pro4 or something like that
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 05:49:52 PM »

yeah so dor what you said is what is so hard . I have seen the pro3 in person but not the omniVII, how ever I heard good things about, but I dont think enough to decide, in other hand I ma afraid to buy the pro3 and Icom few months later comes with pro4 or something like that
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 09:32:31 PM »

I am waiting for them to get the second reciever in the K3, then I will have to take a good look.  For now the orion is number one, pegasus #2 and the 746 pro #3, the ts 2000 #4 and the rest are dependent on the particular use. ( scout for emergency power, the 2 ft 857d's for the cars, the 847 for the truck etc...  

But I may sell the pegasus and the 746pro ( with IC-2 kl and AT 500 as a set, an 800 watt transciever, all automatic)  for a k3 with the second rx.  it looks like a winner and should fill in nicely next to the Orion
W8JJI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 06:45:32 AM »

The band scope on the pro III works all the time "real time", the band scope on the Omni is only a "momentary snapshot" desighn like the 746PRO.

The Pro III has a nice sized analog S meter, the Omni has a smallish bar graph S meter that looks like an after-thought when they desighned the radio.

These thing may not be important to you but I just thought I'd toss them out there.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 10:42:39 AM »

If you are honestly concerned about buying a rig that might be quickly replaced with that vendor's "latest and greatest" model (often times more cosmetically than anything), I'd look at the Elecraft K3.  It is subject to constant evaluation from its users and, as a result, being enhanced on a regular basis.  

And, yes, there are some issues that we K3 owners have had to wait a long time for as Tom 'NJR has indicated.  But, to me, I've never been disappointed in the option I've eventually received, so it was worth the wait.

Terry, WØFM
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 10:44:10 AM »

Whoops!  Fat fingers again.  That should read "Tom, N6AJR".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: