Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you bought from MFJ items that dont work ?  (Read 1765 times)
N3JBH

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2008, 03:11:03 PM »

Have you bought an item from MFJ that was defective?
Please list item and lets see how bad the really are.

i will start.
#1 Hygain VB-214FM.  Yagi problem was the eye bolts did not match the nut's thred was wrong.

#2 Mirage C-5012-G R.F. AMPLIFIER Bad solder joint on the input.

Any one else want to add to the list Huh
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:21:51 PM »

In all fairness, people should also list their MFJ items that do work.  You usually get what you pay for, but I've had good luck with my MFJ SWR meters (HF and VHF).  I also have an MFJ straight key (I didn't want to pay more than $15 for a key) that seems to work well, the base is kind of light, but a little added weight and she's good as new.

73 de KB3LSR
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:22:11 PM »

Nope.

I have 7 or 8 MFJ items and they all worked correctly out of the box.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 03:23:54 PM »

With all due respect Jeff, if you want to go on another of your anti-MFJ rants, you should do it on the Company Review forum.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 03:29:59 PM »

Your right Lon it just really peeves me to hear of folks  geting things and there broken  such as what happened to Ira is all. He is a new guy and all excited. he dont need to put up with that stuff. They you know who could have better control of the stuff.

So to every one concernded i am sorry for my ranting. please feel free to flame me or what ever i promise to ignore and futher coment's posted about the said company. and wont rant any longer about them.

This is my final writing about that issue, Jeff
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »

Yes – I absolutely have had a MFJ product that was defective when I received it.  I bought one of the first MFJ-902 compact tuners just after they were announced, and the inductor switch was broken when it arrived.  When I contacted MFJ, they said they’d found that the weight of the inductor could cause destructive torque on the switch and they’d added a support.  They sent me a new MFJ-902 and told me not to worry about sending the broken one back.  I replaced the switch, and would up with two tuners for the price of one.

But – I also have a lot of MFJ stuff that has worked right out of the box and keeps on working.  I currently own:  MFJ-259B, 219B, 267, 802X, 853, 868, 925, 929, 994B, 998, 1775, 4125, 4225, 4245, 4403, 4416, and 4726/R.  I’ve also had lots of other MFJ stuff in the past that I’ve sold that has also been fine, including MFJ-9420 and MFJ-9320 Cub transceivers.   And I have an Ameritron ALS-600 that has worked great for about two years so far.

Phil – AD5X
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 04:20:30 PM »

Everything I ever bought from MFJ (and Ameritron, for my RCS-8V) still works fine with the exception of the antenna tuner I melted by running 100W RTTY into a terrible mismatch and the MFJ-259B I destroyed the input diodes on (and actually, that cost me just a few dollars to fix)

The tuner I got to replace the melted tuner was a 1500W-class MFJ (less loss = more matching range for a given power level) and the only thing wrong with it is that the screen printing around the knobs wore off, but that's a non-issue since I motorized it:

http://www.n3ox.net/projects/servo

I would tentatively suggest that, well, you get what you pay for, and MFJ fills what would otherwise be a HUGE gap in the market for Amateur Radio accessories.

The MFJ-259 is a good example.  You can't get a capable instrument like that from anyone else at that price.  Is it super quality? Nope, but the darn thing works and doesn't cost $500 or $1000.

If I  bought an antenna and an amplifier at much lower prices than you could otherwise and the antenna had a misdrilled hole and the amplifier had a bad solder joint and were otherwise fine, I would break out the drill and the soldering iron.

You can't expect the lowest prices and the best quality control from the same company.  Of course that means you have to be careful, especially with high-dollar items like amplifiers.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »

"You can't expect the lowest prices and the best quality control from the same company. Of course that means you have to be careful, especially with high-dollar items like amplifiers."

That's exactly what American car manufacturers thought back in the 60's and 70's.  If you bought an entry-level car, you could expect to encounter design and assembly problems; folks just chalked it up to "you get what you pay for" and saved up their money to buy a bigger car as soon as they could swing it.  Then the Japanese car manufacturers came along with a different idea: those paying less money got a smaller car with fewer features, but that car was still designed and assembled as carefully as its big brothers.  And you know what happened next.

MFJ's strategy works as long as no one decides to compete with them.  However, if someone seizes on the idea of building similar products, but with, say, another $10 spent on ensuring that *all* the joints are soldered, they're going to have problems.  Competition can be a wonderful thing.
IRABREN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 04:41:30 PM »

"it just really peeves me to hear of folks geting things and there broken such as what happened to Ira is all. He is a new guy and all excited. he dont need to put up with that stuff"

Thank You, Jeff for the empathy !  - You are so right !!!
Ira, Ke5STP
IRABREN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 04:45:54 PM »

These people making excuses for MJF - because their prices are lower - etc etc.- are way off the mark!
There is NO excuse for poor quality control, poor management and producing 1 crappy unit out of 5 for example. This is poor poor practice, unprofessional and thats that!. Any real professional - knows better !
Ira , KE5STP ( the "oil treatment appliance operator "
K7BAB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »

I have an MFJ 816 SWR bridge, a MFJ 949E matchbox and a 3/8 x 24 single hole mobile mount. All work OK.

AD7KC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 08:05:30 PM »

Yuppers….sure did……the MFJ-269pro. What a hunk of junk. This thing was so bad, MFJ couldn’t fix it. Said it was/is a software problem. It was so bad, MFJ pulled it off the market (at that time - don't know about now). They ended up sending me the MFJ-269 (not the pro) as a replacement (seems to work ok - time will tell).

The whole story is in the ‘Reviews’ section. The whole experience was so bad. I look everywhere else, for equipment……first. MFJ is my last resort. Never seen such a bunch of clowns.
K4VVX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 09:42:55 PM »

Nope, I have never had a problem right out of the box.  I just finished searching and counting, and I find that I have 16 pieces of MFJ gear. I did have one problem with a 1040C Preselector 11 months into the 12 month warranty. I rushed it back to get in under the wire and in about 2 weeks they sent me a new one. My stuff is mostly accessories and test gear, and a couple of auto-tuners. My opinion is that they build the kind of gear that I would build for myself, all function with few frills. That is what I want! Keep up the good work MFJ!

I have known a few people who could break an anvil. Some people shouldn't tinker with delicate equipment, period! If a person can't tighten the occasional screw or touch up a solder joint, he is telling the whole world that he can't, never has, and never will build anything for himself.  Go ahead and spend the big bucks for something that won't work any better. I feel much better now.......73,..Carl...K4VVX, since 1960.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 10:37:49 PM »

NO!
We don't want to add to the list.

We want the Elmer's forum for Elmering--not senseless complaining about a product.

Bob

K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »

Overall, MFJ seems to be a fair value. I have had a few items self distruct. While the MFJ TWO way strip line (VHF)Coax switches all seem to work very well and keep on going, The matching MFJ stripline FOUR way coax switches ALL seem to self distruct and fly apart sooner or later!   Watch out for those!
My Ameritron AL-80B and AL 1200 amplifiers are well built and keep right on working very well. Both the MFJ 259 and now the MFJ 269 antenna analyzers work very well, And are a great deal for the money.
Over the years I have had a few MFJ antenna tuners, While cheap to buy, Were also very cheap in performance......... A few of the smaller products I have had from MFJ were about the same. Low price, Low performance........  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: