Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Launching a line w/o an airgun, bow or slingshot?  (Read 2427 times)
K5WOB

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2006, 07:39:51 AM »

Hello, Experts!

I would like to raise my too-low G5RV dipole to a respectable height, to at least forty feet, but local ordinances disallow the use of pneumatic guns, bows or slingshots.  I was a starting pitcher in high school way back when, so I can probably toss a lead sinker far enough.

The main problem is that the trees on my property are live oaks and pecans and are probably 60 to 80 feet tall, and they have heavy foliage this time of year.  I have serious doubts that a typical lead sinker would be able to penetrate the canopy on the way down to the ground.

So, I suspect the best option for me is to just keep flinging a big-ass sinker as high as I can with very light test fishing line attached.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
Alan K5WOB
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 08:10:22 AM »

Ordnance prohibits slingSHOTS, but how about just "slings", as used by a famous shepherd-turned-King-of-Israel named David?  Just pretend the tree is Goliath.  This might take a bit of practice, but if that's the only alternative I bet it could be done.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 08:17:42 AM »

Ok, time to be maybe goofy. How about launching a gas baloon. Attach guide-wires, raise the baloon to just the required height, guide over the tree and then pull it down with one of the wires. Voila, as they say. Who knows, might work.
AB9LZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 08:21:18 AM »

Slingshot?, What slingshot? aint no slingshots around here...nope, no sir... see I was a pitcher in high school... yep thaaat's how that line made it over the top of the mighty fine oak over there ;-)
N3ZQX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 08:26:19 AM »

Take you pull string, and tape it real good to a baseball.  Then go ahead and throw the baseball.  If the line is light enough and you keep it from being tangled on the ground before you throw, it'll work great.
KD4EUH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 08:40:24 AM »

Spinning reel and rod with golf ball(eye screw attached will work.  This worked for me when the surgical tubing on my sling shot snapped.
John
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 08:49:04 AM »

Just use a Rod and Reel and your lead weight. Cast it over the tree. Tie some mason line to the weight and using the Rod and Reel pull the mason line over the tree. Then hook whatever heavy-duty line you will use to the mason line and pull that into place. If anyone asks what you're doing just tell them your practicing casting with your Rod and Reel before you go fishing. You can also have fun by putting a float on the end of the line (nothing else like hooks) and fish for the local cats. Be ready for a very fun time when fishing for the local cats! They cant resist pouncing on that float as you pull it slowly through the grass.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 08:57:40 AM »

I use a Wrist Rocket type slingshot, a ten dollar closed faced spinning reel (Zebco) mounted on a short length of PVC pipe, and a 2 oz. fishing sinker.  I usually have an accomplice point the the reel in the desired direction while I shoot. I can make spectacular shots up and over 80 ft. pines.  The hard part is getting weight and line down. Patience is required.  8# test line and 1.5 to 2 oz. weight seems to be a good combo.
K3PI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 09:00:27 AM »

Just a word of caution...you will be surprised at how hard it is to throw anything straight up for any appreciable distance.  It is also very easy to mess up your shoulder/arm trying to make a Herculean throw against gravity espeically after years of inactivity.

I have messed up shoulder on more than one occasion this way.

I think covert slingshot makes the most sense.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 09:08:57 AM »

buy a sling shot. fire the line where you want it. soon as your done put sling shot in house. if cops come play the i dont know what your talking about game. they will not be able to enter your house with out a search warrant. and i be very surprised a judge would grant a search warrant for a sling shot. so your safe and your done. if a judge did grant a warrant for searching your residance. then i suggest you move. as you really live in a whacky area.
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 09:53:48 AM »

I use the Sling shot method with some #10 fishing line and a Zebco 202 reel.  On the leader ad and 2oz weight.  It works very well.

I have never heard of a "Sling Shot Ordanance" but then I live out in the country where nearly EVERY kid I know still carries one in his hip pocket to WHAP birds and cats.  You know how these MEAN country kids are!!

73's
Gary - W5GNB
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 10:02:13 AM »

Wow,

Who would have ever guessed, the Peoples Republic of Austin? Is Texas really turning bed-wetting liberal? I would use a spear thrower, easy to build and good for 60-80 Ft. up with a good arm. Good luck.

73, de Lindy

K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 10:33:56 AM »

I say heck with the ordinance.
get out the slingshot or the bow and just do it.
get it over with..
it just takes a couple of minutes.

kevin

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 11:30:12 AM »

I'm in the slingshot camp.  

Now, the better part of antenna work is discretion.  I never advertise being a ham or putting up antennas to my neighbors.

Always do things like this in as stealthy a manner as possible.  Wait till late evening when no one is around to do your lofting.

Good shooting!

73, bill
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 12:13:38 PM »

I was toying with the idea of building an Atlatl, an Aztec throwing device.  They were originally designed to throw spears, and could pierce iron armor at distance.

A piece of PVC schedule 40 half inch diameter, some cloth tape around one end for a handle, a cut in the other to hold the weight.

Anyone tried to make something like this or use this to launch antennas?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: