Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I turn in an Extra Class Ham Operator  (Read 816 times)
BYMAJURO

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2008, 08:17:57 PM »

There is a Ham Radio Operator with an Extra Class License.  I am not a Ham.  He has built antennas to use neighbors wireless internet connections. He boasts about changing frequencies and listening in on cellphone calls, Cordless Phone calls. He boasts about charging anyone wanting to take a test. He has boasted way too much about illegal activities.  Just wondering where I can get someone to check him out.
N7IOH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:27:25 PM »

Well if he is in the US and is operating illegal or breaking FCC rules you could contact the FCC.  If he is breaking local or state laws contact local law enforcement.
Al, n7ioh
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:50:48 PM »

Try a private detective.
Bob
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:32:29 PM »

>>> He has built antennas to use neighbors wireless internet connections.

If the neighbors were using appropriate security on their wireless networks, nobody else would be able to use their networks. Tell your neighbors they need to secure their networks if they don't want anyone else using them. Otherwise,  it's not illegal to use someone's wireless network if it's set up for public access.

>>> He boasts about changing frequencies and listening in on cellphone calls, Cordless Phone calls.

Anyone with a scanner can listen in on many types of cordless phones. Cordless phones are definitely not secure and can be picked up from a couple hundred feet away in some cases.  It's not even illegal.  Never use a cordless phone if you expect to have any privacy.

Listening in on cell phone frequencies specifically IS illegal, however.  

>>> He boasts about charging anyone wanting to take a test.

Don't know what you mean by this. Most of testing groups (VECs) DO charge for administering ham tests. Only a few do not. It's up to the individual VEC group. I think most VECs charges $17. But the Laurel VEC does them for free.

By the way, nothing you've mentioned has anything to do with having an amateur radio license.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 09:38:10 PM »

Other than this guy being a royal boor, I’m not sure he has broken any laws. It is dam near impossible to listen in on cell call for the format has been frequency hopping and digital for several years. All he would hear is digital hiss. As for cordless phones how boring can you get? Cordless phones are all on unlicensed bands. Most are digital and like cell phones all he would hear is digital hiss. Only the older 49 MHz phones were analog modulation. Any thing above 900 MHz is digital.

The WiFi network crashing requires no antenna at all. Most laptops have been wired for 802.11G wireless reception for at least the last three years and no special antenna is needed. If you are using 2.4 GHz WiFi router with out a security code you are asking for trouble.

Let me give you the easiest piece of advice as any will give you…ignore the hapless fellow. He is only looking for an audience. Just because he passed the Extra exam doesn’t mean he is worth any investment as a friend. Not everyone in this hobby was issued a fell set of oar chocks.
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 06:41:45 AM »

The problem is proof.  As K6AER said, many of his claims are suspicious.  I would ignore him unless you can find proof that he's done something wrong.  If he is doing something wrong, N7IOH said it best.

There are a lot of people who think a ham radio license is badge of technical prowess that gives them magical skills and special importance.  People either have those skills or they don't.  Ham radio is just a fun (and often useful) way to apply them.  Anyone who tries to convince you otherwise is compensating for something...
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 07:06:30 AM »

"He has built antennas to use neighbors wireless internet connections."... this is not illegal.
"He boasts about changing frequencies and listening in on cellphone calls, Cordless Phone calls."...this is not illegal, but divulging it is, per the Communications Act of 1996!
"He boasts about charging anyone wanting to take a test."... If you are talking amateur radio test, only the Laurel and Alaska VECs do not charge for taking tests, all other VECs do charge a fixed fee for this.
"He has boasted way too much about illegal activities."... If you are referring to FCC rules and regulations, notify the FCC.  Other illegal activities should be reported to the police.
Personally, I would associate with other people, he does sound like a BOOR and BRAGGARD!
73s.

-Mike.

WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 08:05:53 AM »

This guy is a troll.  No call letters and just a made up eham id.  Why even assume he is for real.

More and more guys posting with these non-call ids.  They hide behind an anonimous eham id and make accusations.

Besides, what does license class have to do with it anyway?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 08:08:02 AM »

He stated that he is NOT a ham so how in the world would he post with a call sign?
AD5ZC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 09:21:55 AM »

I don't know about you guys, but I've read more than a couple stories of people arrested for hooking into wireless routers that didn't belong to them.

You need to be careful about which state we're talking about also.  Some have laws that specifically make this illegal while the ones that don't could prosecute you under federal law.  The federal law is ambiguous at best but you never know.

W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 11:27:22 AM »

And what's that got to do with ham radio?
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 04:54:46 PM »

WA3SKN on June 2, 2008     
"He boasts about changing frequencies and listening in on cellphone calls, Cordless Phone calls."...this is not illegal, but divulging it is, per the Communications Act of 1996!
------------------------

Actually, just listening to cell phones IS technically illegal.  Divulging ANY non-public broadcast radio transmission except Amateur and CB has been illegal since the Communication Act of 1934 (as amended from time to time.)

But the original post asys the person in question boasts of such astivities.  I find many people BoaSt (note the capitalized letters) about things they imagine as much as activities they actually accomplish.  Proof of such activities would be requred for complaints to the FCC or law enforcement, not merely verbal claims.
KI6NUJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 05:41:08 PM »

Connecting to wireless AP that does not belong to you or you do not have explicit permission to access can land you in trouble with the law.

Leaving your cookie jar on the window does not give me a right to come and eat them all :-)
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 06:14:02 PM »

hi,

there was a guy in his car in front of a library.

Somebody thought he was up to no good,
the police investigated and found he was using
the library internet connection to play network games !
There are charges pending.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/25/gamer-busted-for-borrowing-library-wifi-after-hours/

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: