Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TAKING MY 520S ON THE ROAD, ................mayb  (Read 1234 times)
N3BIF

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2003, 06:14:13 PM »

I am serious thinking about putting my spare 520s in my car , I can't ascertain from my manuals  (owners and service )how to wire the plug for twelve volts , there does not seem to be any 12v input on the rig, do I  run positive to the 120 volt input and ground the chassis, (it can't be that easy) I know these are made for either/or but how do I  do it.
     Yes I do know how big and heavy this rig is , this is "my Car" and the only passengers ever, is the dog when she goes to the vet for her annual visit, and she prefers the back seat anyway... the car is an 87 Olds Cutlass btw.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 10:57:25 AM »

The TS-520S doesn't run on 12Vdc.  It's AC-powered only.

The earlier model, TS-520 (no "S") did have a DC converter, and a corresponding DC input connector.

I believe there was an optional add-on kit available for the TS-520S to power it from 12Vdc, but again, that was an optional add-on, and a fairly expensive one at the time (in the 1970's).

WB2WIK/6
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 05:10:39 PM »

The TS-520S requires the DC-1 DC-DC converter for +13.8VDC operation. The DC-1 mounts on the back of the rig and the wires pass through an access plate on the rear panel.  It's going to be tough finding one these days, and they were also quite expensive.  If my memory serves me correctly, they were around $75 to $100 in 1978.  The original TS-520, on the other hand, included the converter as standard equipment.

Also, if you are successful in finding a DC-1, please ensure your mounting for the TS-520S is solid.  The TS-520S is heavy, and you certainly don't want it "flying around" in an emergency situation!

Good luck!

Don Allen W9CW
K8UPA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 01:45:36 PM »

Finding the DC cable can be a chore, more than likely you will have to make one.  If you need the specs for this you can email me and I will send it to you.  Also when running DC the 520S draws 15 amps so be careful not to drain your battery.
Lou
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2003, 03:43:35 PM »

Thanks for the responses and help .  I think I will give the rig to my Dad it has to work better than his 2o year old tentec. That will give me a chance to see what may be wrong with his rig, horrendous audio, frequency drift etc ......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: