Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need hel for and old timer!  (Read 291 times)
N4UE

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2008, 03:26:40 PM »

Hi, my main PC just took an, er, vacation. So I got this used Laptop, which is wonderful!!

However, when I try to answer any of my messages on the QTH Mailing lists, I get the old 'HTML versus Plain Text', error message.
On the old computer, I could just click to the "Message box" area, and there was an option for 'plain text'. On the Laptop, this option is NOT there.

I use AOL 9.0 (optomised, yeah, right!) and both computers are running Win XP....
I also have a DSL Connection.

Whattttts up?

thanks,

ron
N4UE
AE5I

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 05:47:42 PM »

I don't use 'em, so I don't know if it could be related to this or not, but since you have a DSL connection, I would recommend getting away from AOHell entirely.  There are just too many issues with it.  I've solved a good many internet/communications related problems on other folks' computers in the past by dumping AOL completely off the machine...

Wish I could offer a real solution.  AOL would seem like a possible player in this problem, even though it worked on the old computer, IMO...

Best of luck!

Tom
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 09:41:26 PM »

Why use AOL?  You have free browsers available which are better and less encumbered by bandwidth-hogging junk.  Download Firefox from Mozilla (free), try again, see what happens.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 04:33:42 AM »

Your replacement laptop is missing some of the Internet Explorer plug-ins that are needed.  Try going to the Microsoft Windows update site (click on 'Windows update' in the start menu) and updating your machine with the latest IE software.  That should solve your problem.

BTW--an old timer needs 'hel'?  I always thought they gave it!  (Sorry, couldn't resist!) ;-)
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 02:05:03 PM »

Sounds like a blessing in disguise and an opportunity to be free of AOL.

On the other hand, I'd suggest there is a good chance that AOL is the prime suspect in the demise of your PC.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 07:34:43 AM »

Installing AOL is like installing a virus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: