About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK31  (Read 278 times)
KC0TDZ

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:09:33 AM »

I thought PSK31 on 20meters was always supposed to be USB. I just tuned to 14,069.5 and switched to FM on my ICOM 745 and I received perfect copy. Didn't get anything on USB. The waterfall display did not change but looked more clear re:the frequency line. Can you give me any insight into this as from now on I'll work PSK31 from the FM band. Thanks
Bruce KC0TDZ
email:brumarle1@cox.net
N8DV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 11:16:05 AM »

PSK 31 on 20 meters is on USB. I am not sure what you heard. Maybe someone was trying something different in a mode that is not allowed on the hf bands.  However, FM cannot be used on the HF band below 29 Mhz. I have been on PSK for over five years, and I have not heard an FM signal. I have heard voice(SSB) on the frequency; I have heard packet racket on the frequency. RTTY can be used on the the frequency of 14.070 but usually they stay up around 14.080. I will listen this evening to see if I can hear anything.
Tuesday evening was exceptional band conditions. I worked a Greek dxpedition (SY75NW) and Greenland (OX3CB) all with a dipole and 50 watts. When the band is open, it's really open. Get ready for cycle 24!
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 12:05:49 PM »

According to 97.305 of the FCC's Rules, FM is permitted on every band from 160 m through 10 m (except for 60 m).  The only restriction below 29 MHz is found in 97.307 (f) (1) "No angle-modulated emission may have a modulation index greater than 1 at the highest modulation frequency."  This allow the use of NBFM where the maximum deviation is equal to that of the highest audio frequency.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: