Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Meter FM Simplex  (Read 1098 times)
KI6KGN

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2007, 10:40:16 AM »

I understand that the CW portion of 10 meters is open today, but will their be anybody attempting to make any contacts on 29.6 MHz FM? Don't let this freq get taken away from the FCC cause it's a wonderful freq especially for the FM guys like myself. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this part of the band (YES I know it's gonna be dead until the beginning of the peak solar cycle, but you never know!).
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:49:06 AM »

"Don't let this freq get taken away from the FCC"

Doubt that will happen... but anyway, I dabble in 10m FM sometimes when the band's open but it takes an awfully strong opening to make FM useful, much stronger than it takes to make SSB and CW work.

Not really worth it for the contesters anyway...

I feel like 10m FM is on my list of ham radio curiosities... not very reliable for talking to anyone I want to talk to regularly, not great for DX, so I play with it sometimes but don't spend much time on it.

It is a lot easier to work FM when the band is regularly open, for sure.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
G3XBM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 10:51:07 AM »

There is very little likelihood of 29.6 not remaining an FM calling frequency. In Europe, as in the USA, this is a useful frequency to monitor for band openings as locals often use 10FM for local working up to around 20-30 miles. There are also some 10m FM repeaters around this frequency. 10m is a fascinating band and for the next 5 years or so will be getting better and better as sunspots start to rapidly climb. See you on the band one day!

Check out the 10m webpages on my site http://www.g3xbm.co.uk

73s
Roger
G3XBM
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 02:15:05 PM »

I'm on 10CW, right now, and I wouldn't call what I hear 'open.'

This band is deader than dead.  Worst conditions in my nearly 30 years of radio.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 02:16:01 PM »

I've never used 10M FM.
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 02:31:12 PM »

10-Meter FM is very much like Six-Meter FM right now.  You have to pretty much monitor all the time to catch an opening and when you do, it is usually quite short and with lots of QSB.

I worked a fellow up in Ohio yesterday for about two minutes then dead quiet since then.  

It is great fun when it opens, especially listening to the several repeaters on the band.

N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 02:47:21 PM »

10 meter FM is great.  I really enjoy both working simplex, and rolling through FM repeaters, when conditions permit.  And, I decided a long time ago that I do not want to work SSB or CW while driving; I just find it too distracting with traffic.  10m FM is no harder to use than 2m.  A few years ago, while solar activity was higher, I would work Britain through the Boston FM repeater, and often even Europe direct on 29.600 with just 50W.

But, no... the myth that the band is closed until Cycle 24 ramps up is just false.  While the 20 dB/9 signals from Europe to Memphis are on hiatus, sporadic-E is not dependent on sunspots.  We had a few usable openings during this weekend's contest -- I haven't counted the states worked, but it was a nice crop of contacts with just 20 W.  While FM will require a slightly more robust opening than SSB/CW, it's surprising how often I hear New York or Boston on 29.620 (-) while driving about town.

It's a shame, actually, that Techs don't have access to 10m FM.  But, then again, Generals get it, and that upgrade just isn't too hard.

Peter, N4LI
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 05:12:13 PM »

>RE: 10 Meter FM Simplex  Reply  
by KZ1X on December 9, 2007  Mail this to a friend!  
I'm on 10CW, right now, and I wouldn't call what I hear 'open.'

This band is deader than dead. Worst conditions in my nearly 30 years of radio.<

::Ditto.  I'm not in the contest, but did listen a bit yesterday, a bit last night, and a bit today, and heard only local tropo signals.  Friday night I heard some fairly weak distant signals, mostly guys in TX and OK, probably sporadic-E.  Today, I listened for a few minutes at a time 3 or 4 times and heard only tropo (guys within a hundred miles or so).

Probably the "deadest" 10m contest weekend in my 42 years of ham radio.

WB2WIK/6  
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 05:14:24 PM »

BTW, the 10m band has been 28-29.7 for several decades and I see no reason for the FCC to "take away" 29.6 MHz; that doesn't make any sense.

Nobody is clamoring for this frequency.  It's too high a frequency for reliable SW broadcasting and too low for anything else.  I'd guess it's "all ours" forever...

WB2WIK/6
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 10:03:46 PM »

Yep!  I wouldn't worry about it.  If they haven't taken 11 meters away from the high power skip shooters yet, 10m should be fairly safe.
N0YXE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 02:29:14 PM »

6-15-08

29.600 was alive and buzzing today.  It was most pleasing to hearing how enthused all the ops were on simplex.  I had my first contacts and it was great.
K9RQY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 01:50:33 PM »

Lets get busy and operate on 29.6 Mhz FM. We may need to run off a few truckers. I am willing to do a mobile install and try it out here in North Central Illinois. Any others in the region operating here??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: