Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "QSL"?  (Read 1359 times)
WP4NXA

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2008, 09:44:44 PM »

Ok, I'm new at this...
What exactly does the q code QSL mean and when do you use it. When you say it, does it mean you acknowledge you'll send or receive a qsl card? (or it has nothing to do with that)

Also, how would you ask for a qsl card during satellite operations?

Thanks
WP4NXA
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:18:20 PM »

Like all the Q and Z codes, QSL can take two meanings, one positive and one interrogative. QSL acknowledges reciept of a message.  QSL? means did your receive?  Remember that the Q codes were originally sent by morse code and used to speed communication.

A QSL card is used to confirm contact.

73, Bill

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 03:21:26 AM »

http://www.qsl.net/w5www/qcode.html
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 05:03:43 AM »

May I suggest that for a wealth of information you visit the AC6V web site.

Rick N6NKN
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 05:50:48 AM »

how would you ask for a qsl card during satellite operations?

Please QSL
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 06:02:11 AM »

I encourage new hams to get a copy of the (IMHO now overpriced, but still valuable) ARRL Operating Manual. Also, and to be quite frank, many hams of tenure look askance at the use of Q codes on phone, at all.  

You might wish to tailor you own habits around the more traditional use of plain-language in voice modes, as you begin you radio experience.  

For example, on SSB, I'd say "is the frequency in use?" rather than saying the letters "Q-R-L?" ... and to indicate I had successfully received a transmission (usually under adverse conditions) I usually say "roger" instead of "Q-S-L" and in a contest, simply repeating my call when I am ready for the next contact is far better than saying "Q-R-Zed."  And, of course, I *never* use "QTH" on phone!

Of course, in CW or digital modes, I DO use the Q codes.

Yes, I know many others don't do it that way these days, but just because others do it wrong doesn't make me want to emulate them.  It isn't likely that I'll be invited to the A-1 Ops Club anytime soon! but I still want to be a better example if I can be.  The fact that you are asking the question leads me to believe YOU want to be the best op YOU can be, too.

And that is a good thing, for ALL of us.  Thanks for taking the extra effort.  It does matter.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 06:20:35 AM »

Lord, we're on the verge of some of my biggest pet peeves. QRZ the frequency? Ugh! Roger that, QSL-QSL-QSL, even more ugh! Heck, before you know it, roger-beeping will become common place. Ugh!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 09:19:32 AM »

Let me add.   There is no requirement to ask the other chap for 'permission' to QSL him.  In the past a QSL card was considered the "Final Courtesy" of a contact.  If you recieved a QSL card you were expectedt to reciprocate and send one back, though you weren't expected to QSL every single contact you made.

Of course life was simpler and cheaper.  The government subsidized the Post Office and it cost only a penny or two to send a card.  Cards were cheap because they were generally simple one color things without custom graphics.  Everybody and his brother had a handfed press with movable lead type in his basement or garage and operated part time printing businesses.

Over the last 20 years many hams have quit sending cards routinely, and many refuse to even have cards printed.  Due to frustration at not recieving return cards, many hams have taken to asking on-air for QSL card expectations.  Other strategies include sending SASE's and even resorting to cards pre-filled out with the contact info merely requiring the other guy to sign or initial and drop in the mail.  Adding 'green stamps' i.e. cash currency, as an inducement is common especially for highly desired Dx contacts.  Ostensibly this is to cover the cost of printing and postage. There can cause problems for foriegners so caution is advised.

Satellite contacts are so fleeting and competitive that I do not recommend wasting others time occupying the frequency over administrative details.  Remember 100's of others may be waiting their chance for the satellite.

QSL cards can provide years of pleasant memories. Nothing is as exciting as waiting for the postman.  Cost has become a significant factor for very active hams.  I suspect that the recently developed E-QSL systems will be the wave of the future as they develop wider acceptance.

It is never wrong to send a QSL card to another ham, even as merely a reception report.  They represent the best of friendliness and have a long and cherished history in Hamdom.

73, Bill

W5ROY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 09:28:03 AM »

Easy does it Alan, I can see your blood pressure going up already. Yes we all have our  pet peeves, but what others do is not always wrong. This is XX5XXX for ID. Lord this makes my blood boil, but they think they are doing what is required of them. Jeeminy Crimeny don't they know saying their call sign identifies them, guess not. Well any way I just grit my teeth and let it go. I have only explained it a hundred or so times. No you can't teach some old or new dogs a new trick. Love your articles Alan, and Earl says HEY from Clovis.  73  de W5ROY
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 10:32:10 AM »

How about "K1ABC de K2XXX R R R QSL QSL FB SOLID COPY" .... On RTTY that equates to "Brag File Follows". Similar to "AHHHHHH". Mostly a filler until we think of something to say :-)

Then there's "K1ABC listening". Listening for what? Any station, one of your buddies? What ever happend to "CQ this is K1ABC"?
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 10:44:03 AM »

The IDIOT that decided that "QSL" is a substitute
word for "OK" should be drawn and quartered and the video of the punishment posted on the internet for all to see.
AE5EH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 11:34:03 AM »

Or how about "well I'm between the white lines" or, "well I'm destinated at my POE" or, " 73 and I'll either catch you on the morning or driving home show, this is XXXXXX, clear on yours"?

And of course this asinine jargon peculiar to "ham radio" (especially the brain dead 2m FM in this area of TX) goes on ad nauseum. Of course if folks feel "cutesy", special, or sophisticated (barf!) using it along with those ridiculous "Q" codes, oh well. Maybe these are the same folks on the HF bands that give every report as "you're 5/9", when you know damn well you weren't, especially since they had to ask you 3 times your "QTH" and "handle".

Until part 97 of the FCC rules tell me otherwise, clear simple speech sans all that superflous bullshit, identifying with my callsign (and nothing else) every 10 minutes and at the end of my transmission is good enough for me.

Much thanks for CW!
CBISBACK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 11:57:06 AM »

KB3LIX wrote
The IDIOT that decided that "QSL" is a substitute
word for "OK" should be drawn and quartered and the video of the punishment posted on the internet for all to see.
=====================================================

I'm glad this is just a hobby.  

WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »

"I'm glad this is just a hobby. "

Me too. Wink

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »

"Destinated" is bad enough, but not too long ago I heard a chap on one of the local repeaters announce that he was "QTHed" (he pronounced it "CUE TEE
AITCH-T".

Nobody said anything - not even the stations he was talking with. "QTHed"....

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: