Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for 2M and 440 Satillite antenna HB  (Read 339 times)
K8POS

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:35:44 AM »

I will soon be acquiring a Icom 820H.  I would like suggestions as to what antennas to build to take a stab at the satellites.  I plan to use my old telescope drive as a mount.  It has computer control so that solves the problem of a way to track them, although it wont support really large arrays.  I have seen beams, turnstile, and egg beater designs.  I do not intend (so far) to try and do any packet work. I know you will say it depends on what birds I want to work, so I would have to say the easier ones for now.  I am using Orbitron to give me the pass information, and the AutoStar from my scope will control the drive for the antennas. (you can load in the TLE info manually)
Bob
KE5ICG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:57:24 AM »

As much as I like building antennas, I don't think that I'll be building one for working the birds.  There are some guys working sats regularly here in central Arkansas and they almost all use Arrows w/duplexers.  No complaints that I've heard. They say the Arrow is pretty much trouble free and very easy to assemble and break down.  The duplexer limits your power, but most birds over North America are easily worked with a 5 watt dual band HT.  Another antenna I like the look of is the Elk dual band log periodic -- under $100 w/shipping and no duplexer needed.  Just my 2 cents worth, but I'm probably buying the Elk next month.

73 and See you on the sats -- Ray KE5ICG
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »

amsat.com
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 02:58:59 PM »

http://wa5vjb.com/references/Cheap%20Antennas-LEOs.pdf
http://wa5vjb.com/yagi-pdf/cheapyagi.pdf
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 07:36:47 PM »

You can easily build your own antennas for satellite work cheaply and over weekend or less time.   A 3 or 4 element yagi or quad for 2M, and perhaps a 6 or7 element yagi or quad for 435Mhz will do fine to get you started.

The ARRL antenna handbook or Satellite ops books have plans.  www.AC6V.com has links, and Cebik.com has articles.  Plus plenty other on the web.

www.AMSAT.org has tons of info for beginners for free.  A donation or membership will help advance the cause.  

73, Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: