Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cushcraft AV 5 Antenna help  (Read 2786 times)
N8DV

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2008, 01:20:01 PM »

Two questions:
(1) I purchased a complete AV 5 antenna but I have a problem reading the instructions. The instructions call for a dimension of "E1" through "E4". I can't find what the E number is on the antenna for me to adjust to those dimensions.
(2) The location of the installation makes it difficult to install radials. I will be ground mounting the antenna and using an antenna tuner.
Has anyone used this antenna without radials and what were your results.  Thanks.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »

Usually the E1, E2, etc refers to lengths the antenna elements have to be adjusted to--there should be a diagram of the antenna and the elements themselves with the notation of E1 - E4 on it indicating the different elements and the adjustments.  Sometimes, however, the diagram is none too clear--or missing.

Try going to the Cushcraft website and downloading another set of instructions--maybe a page was left out of your set.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »

It will work without radials. Barely. But it will not be anywhere near as good as it would be with radials.

If you don't mind having a very compromised antenna, go ahead. I'd waste my money a different way, though.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:02:06 PM »

>Cushcraft AV 5 Antenna help       Reply
by N8DV on September 7, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
Two questions:
(1) I purchased a complete AV 5 antenna but I have a problem reading the instructions. The instructions call for a dimension of "E1" through "E4". I can't find what the E number is on the antenna for me to adjust to those dimensions.<

::Are you kidding?  Look at page three of the instructions where it details E1-E2-E3-E4-E5 lengths for setting what section of 80 meters you'd like to tune the antenna for.  To me, it was very clear.  "E" is the overall length of the uppermost tubing section of the antenna, and it is adjusted depending upon where on 80m you'd like to operate.  The antenna does *not* cover the entire 80m band, just a segment of it as shown on page 3.

>(2) The location of the installation makes it difficult to install radials. I will be ground mounting the antenna and using an antenna tuner.
Has anyone used this antenna without radials and what were your results. Thanks.<

::The AV-5 does not work without radials.  Save your money on this one if you cannot install radials and think about a different antenna.  I've installed three AV-5s over the years, and without radials, it's a dummy load.  The radials are what make it work.

WB2WIK/6

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 03:43:30 PM »

<< (2) The location of the installation makes it difficult to install radials. >>

With all due respect, then why did you buy an antenna that requires them? 95 percent of the complaints about poorly performing verticals come from people who try to install them without a decent radial system.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
VE3QJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:27:44 AM »

W3LK, i love your signature.
THATS funny!

A proper counterpoise makes all the difference in the world.
You wouldnt go swimming in a frozen lake, why would you put up an av-5 without a good counterpoise.
I know...i have one  (a good counterpoise) Smiley
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »

Quote from: N8DV
Has anyone used this antenna without radials? ... and what were your results.  Thanks.
The Cushcraft AV-5 is a Multi-band QUARTER-WAVELENGTH vertical antenna.
REQUIRES radials (ground mounted or elevated) .... path for return currents.
==
Cushcraft discontinued the AV-series in late 1990s.
The Hustler BTV-series and HyGain AVQ-series were direct competitors (1/4-wave verticals)
--
IF you don't want it .... I will pay shipping (or have someone pick-up at Dayton).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:18:12 PM by W9GB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: