The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-897 CAT connection problem  (Read 4651 times)
VA3DXV

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2008, 07:51:57 AM »

I'm using Ham Radio Deluxe v4.0 SP4 (build 1901), but the issue occurs in the newest beta also. The cable is the CT-62 from Yaesu and is known to be good on other rigs. The 897 is a non-D model. Baud rate is the same in HRD and on the rig.

I can connect to the radio, HRD reads the freq and all the settings correctly. It seems to work perfect. Then, after a few minutes it seems to lose its connection, all the sliders go to 0, and the freq readout on the screen doesn't update when I spin the dial on the rig.

The rig itself still functions as normal, but CAT seems to not work until I turn the rig off and back on (dont even need to restart HRD when I do this). But, If I close HRD and re-open it, without turning the rig off and on again, it gives me communications errors.

Sometimes its fine and it doesn't drop until I start spinning the VFO on the radio, other times it just drops the connection by itself when sitting idle. HRD doesn't give me any error message, so I have nothing to go by there. I'm afraid it could be something in the rig.

I did a search in the HRD forums (and posted, no response yet) and I couldn't find anything recent on this issue. Re-installing HRD from scratch didn't fix it, even after a complete un-install. I absolutely love DM780 and having the connection to HRD is almost a must...

Does anyone have any ideas? Has there been issues with 897s CAT port?
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »

I have a ft 857 and use a cable I got on ebay for rig control, .  I have a different cable that goes to the signal link/ laptop for the sound card part ( like for rtty) the signalink is an easy way to go. the one cable does rig control, the other handles the signals. the 897 is electrically about the same. one goes to the ACC and one goes to the 6 pin mini din
G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 05:26:44 AM »

Hi,

This sounds a bit odd, I suspect it's a PC related problem. Here are a few suggestions.

Is it just a problem with the one type of radio, can you borrow another Yaesu to try ?

Are you using a laptop PC or a USB to Serial converter, some models don't power the RS232 ports continuously but 'pulse' the data pins resulting in problems when the interface is powered from the signaling lines on the RS 232 interface ?

Have you also checked that the com port and IRQ are not being shared with other applications ?

Have your tried using something like hyperterminal to send some CAT commands and check for valid responses ?

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

NB1U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:52:08 PM »

If you haven't done so, try setting the baud rate to the slowest that the radio will handle.  As was mentioned previously, double check the port address/IRQ settings making sure there are no conflicts. Good luck...

Mark NB1U
VA3DXV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 05:02:17 PM »

I'm not using a USB adapter, the CT-62 is hooked up directly to the computer's com port. I've tried all the different baud rates and the same thing occurs.

It's not the computer, both my TS-870 and FT-1000MP work fine.

I'm stumped, I suspect it may be an issue in the rig but I don't know how to go about fixing it short of sending it to yaesu. I've tried the FTBCat program also and it's doing the same thing.
G7CIA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 04:26:09 AM »

Hello,

I've had similar issues with an Icom and my FT897 using CAT.

I bought a cheap CAT cable from Ebay and this would exhhibit the same problems after transmitting.  I can only suspect that it is RF getting in to the level converter somewhere.  It is usually a small plastic box on the lead, and the ones I had was unscreened.  Resetting HRD cures the problem till next time.

I have replaced this with a better quality one (like the one from GLP electonics which is recommended by HRD) and all works fine.

This might be your problem.

Hope this helps!

Regards,  Jon
KB0OYZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 01:20:38 PM »

Kb0oyz here;

I purchased the LAST SHELF DEMO FT-897 from HRO in Denver years ago before their first shipment of FT-897D units arrived.
I have the same issues with the CAT port and HRD, however I set HRD rig type for FT-857D and it has longer delay between "freezes" which helps a little.

THIS IS A YAESU KNOWN FIRMWARE BUG I HAVE TRACKED DOWN MYSELF,
so I contacted Yaesu and they won't send a firmware chip,
you have to send in your rig at your expense for them to replace the board and you essentially get an FT-857D back.....
(loosing your ability to use soft-jump and expand extended frequencies)

1 workaround I found is the Chinese CAT to Bluetooth unit (Ebay), and I have NOT had it hang up as of yet.....

I have also designed a parallel interface (from the HRD Auxiliary Switching circuit) that fits inside the 897 and from an 8bit data active bit selection,
having a relay interrupt the 13.8 Vdc PSU controlled from the remote PC -
(as I do a lot of remote radio access and bi-directional transcieving).

I may post this project at a later date.
73 de kb0oyz
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:40:43 PM by KB0OYZ » Logged
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 06:02:34 AM »

If you haven't done so, try setting the baud rate to the slowest that the radio will handle.  As was mentioned previously, double check the port address/IRQ settings making sure there are no conflicts. Good luck...

Mark NB1U

I had the exact same problem with another radio and slowing down the baud rate to 4800 cured the problem.
The issue must have been with the computer? Years later I changed the computer for a modern one and the problem went away. I was then able to bump the baud rate up.
Barry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: