Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Pole Connector crimp tool?  (Read 1691 times)
W6CD

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:35:22 PM »

I see the West Mountain tool for ~$50, and other much lower priced brands for $12-$15.  

Does anyone have a recommendation for a low priced tool that works well?  Or is the West Mountain tool the way to go?

My usage would just be personal, the initial several connectors to convert all my stuff to Power Poles, then the occational need thereafter.

thx
Vince
KF6ALC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:52:31 PM »

I got the WMR tool a while back in an ebay auction combined with a other PowerPole stuff.  It was actually less for the lot than the tool by itself new would be. I don't think I would have bought it for the price, but I DO have to say I love the tool, works perfectly for what it does.  Not sure if another tool would work exactly as this one does, and am glad I have it.  Now of course like you say, I used it for the initial set up of converting my gear to Powerpoles, then occasionally using it as the need arises, but I am really glad I have it.  I guess my point is that if you can wait for  great deal like I got, then do so, but it IS worth having if you beleive in the Right Tool for the Right Job.
VK1OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 02:52:47 AM »

If you want the result of the cheap tool, don't waste the twelve dollars, use a pair of pliers and you will be happier that a crappy job cost you nothing.

Owen
W4DL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 04:19:04 AM »

Owen down under should have a job as a stand up comic!  Good one Owen!
WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 04:38:04 AM »

I just used my soldering pencil. It was already on hand and  I didn't have a lot of connections to make up.
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 07:42:10 AM »

One advantage of the West Mountain crimper is that you can get other jaws for it. If you don't have a good crimper for coax and for barrel terminals, then this is a well priced solution to cover all those.

If you only need to get set up the first time, I would see if your local club has one or maybe set up a group of guys to buy one together.

I have a number of crimpers including the West Mountain. They spend 99.9% of their time sitting in the tool chest, but when I need a connector done right, they are the exact solution needed!

Bernie
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 08:20:34 AM »

I have a pair of crimping pliers (though no idea where they came from
or how I got them.)  If I try to crimp the Power Pole in one go they are
too wide to fit in the housing.  But if I crimp one side then the other it
pulls the sides back together and gives a secure crimp that fits in with
no problems.  I haven't been able to pull one apart yet.
DIPOLE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 09:05:56 AM »

The Power Pole works by having the crimped-on metal tongue !snap! into the plastic holder.  It's my experience that the crimp shape is part of the snap design.  If this shape is not correct, you're going to have poor connectors.  I sunk for the WMR $50 tool and get ends every time.  All that being said, I'm not all that impressed with the Power Pole design in the first place.  The plastic ends depend solely on friction to stay connected together.  It would seem that a twist or tab locking mechanism would be better practice.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 09:35:02 AM »

I use crimpers that I got at radio shack years ago that aren't available anymore. It was advertized as a terminal crimper for communications connectors--part number 64-410. It does a fair job, but I find I have to straighten the terminals a bit before I slip them into the powerpole shell. The crimper was made in Taiwan, (big surprise) was made of powder coated steel with red plastic handles and had the jaw section riveted together and the handles spring loaded to stay in the open position.

For the $12 I paid back then, the tool had served well before I had even heard of powerpole connectors and continues to do so for what it was originally purchased for and for both types of powerpole connectors.
N1LO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 12:21:15 PM »

If you are switching all your gear to PPoles,

buy nice, not twice!

PPole crimpers are a joy to use, and do a much better job than standard crimpers. The problem you run into with standard crimpers is that the connector will take on a banana shape or get out of round, and it won't fit into the shell.

As already mentioned, you can get other jaws for it. I chose to buy the whole set, so I've got a great tool that can install all kinds of connectors.

--...MARK_N1LO...--
K7STO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 12:28:27 PM »

Vince,

You need to go to your local Harbor Freight store. I see there is one located on 1350 W MISSION RD in your town.  I would recommend you get their crimp tool # 36411.  I got this info from AD5X’s web site and bought one about a year ago. This is a great hand tool for the power pole connectors. The crimp tool is on sale on the web site for $4.99. Go to the web site Harborfreight.com print a copy of the item with price shown and your local store should also honor the same price otherwise they are less than $10.

73 Mike
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 12:46:24 PM »

I bought the $12 pair, and found them frustrating and hard to use. I bought the West mountain radio crimopers and have never looked back.

they are well designed and I have never had a problem with mine.  I have 8 or 10 hf rigs and 8 or 10 mobiles in the shack and multiple power sources and I use the PP on everything.  I love them  but would not use them with out the 50 dollar crimpers.

BTW Anderson also sells a crimper for about $150, but I have not played with that one.  the WMR 50 dollar one is fine and worth the $.

here isd a link to some Pics of the shack and you will see the need.

http://hometown.aol.com/catfishtwo/N6AJR.html
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 02:09:45 PM »

You are kidding yourself if you are not using the WMR crimper or similar quality crimping tool.  Over Field Day, my FT-100D from my mobile was being used in one HF station.  I had a spare power cord that I had fitted with PowerPoles using one of the inexpensive crimpers.  Guess which connections came apart?  The cable now has PPs crimped on with a PROPER crimper.
N7GCO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »

I have the West Mountain crimper and think it is well worth the money. If you are going to use powerpoles, you will be adding new ones over the years. Yes I definitely think it is worth paying the price to get the right tool.
KB3MDT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 06:03:31 PM »

Hi,
    I tried crimping the Power Pole connectors using a tool designed for the round lug connectors.  It didn't work.  I tried a variety of pliers, it didn't work.   Even if I got a nice tight crimp, the connectors wouldn't fit in the plastic sleeves.   I got out the old soldering gun.  It was a lot less work, the connections are strong, it all looks neat and they fit in the plastic sleeves.  

KB3MDT
Ken
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: