Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BASIC Stamp and Ham Radio  (Read 462 times)
W5DWH

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2008, 01:41:29 PM »

I am looking for projects using the Parallax BASIC Stamp that are ham radio related- GPS, APRS, temp, humidity,wind, decoding Morse, RTTY, etc.

Got any interesting links or ideas?

W5DWH
N5EG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 02:35:31 PM »

Hi,

The latest issue of QEX (Sept/Oct 2008) has an article using the Parallax basic stamp, it's called "SID: Study Cycle 24, Don't Just Use It" by Mark Spencer, WA8SME.

Mark runs software on the stamp to collect data from a LF beacon to analyze the ionosphere; it interfaces with a Parallax-provided Excel macro to automatically pull measured results into Excel from the basic stamp over an RS-232 serial link.

-- Tom, N5EG

W5DWH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 04:45:20 PM »

Thanks.

Reading that article is what got me interested in thinking about using the Stamp for ham radio projects. That project didn't particularly interest me but others might.

W5DWH
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:54:48 AM »

I recently jumped into learning Pic programming.  I passed on the Basic Stamp format because it seemed there is less support and projects available, the higher cost, and the urging of programmer friends to "not step backwards" by using Basic.  Nonetheless, those are just my personal reasons.

You will find tons of websites with projects that you can reverse engineer if you search using the other two big formats:

Microchip Pic

Atmel AVR

The guys at  http://www.nerdkits.com  have a project for a CW code reader.

73,  Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: