Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cushcraft MA5b  (Read 2435 times)
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 04:21:36 AM »

Ignore the previous post, N6AJR already commented on that.
N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 02:08:10 PM »

Well I guess I installed mine incorrectly I looked at the very front page of the instruction manual and it gives you the appearance of a 45 degree angle.  I have seen one other MA5B here in Colorado Springs and he also has his mounted in the 45 degree angle.  I'm waiting for response to an email I sent to Cushcraft inquiring about the picture.  I think that everyone that has pinged on me is correct and as a dumb S.......t......I read the directions wrong.  Oh well, it just means I have to get my non ham friend back over and have him go back up and level them all out.  I can't as I'm disabled (Vet) and my climbing days are overwith.  Even with it in the 45 degree angle my SWR's are almost flat on ten meters, and on 20 between 14.200-14.350 they go from 1.3-1.7 and on 15 meters between 21.275-21.450 1.4-1.8 and I could care less on the other two and this last weekend on the 10/10 contest I switched between the A-3 and the MA5B and used the best signal.  But the MA5B operated just fine on the 10/10 contest with the elements at the 45 degree angle.  We will see how it works with it readjusted correctly.  

I bow down to all that corrected me and am humbled and will correct the angles with the dangles as we used to say in the Submarine Service, yes I served on two boats during my 20 year career.  I was a Navy Radioman.  See my QRZ article.  

Guys I want to thank all who politely informed me I was wrong and 73s to you all.

Mike, N0mud
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 05:33:18 AM »

Mike,

The picture gives you the impression that the antenna is at the 45 degree angle.  But that is not the way to install a Yagi.  The MA5B is installed with the elecments parallel to the ground.

73 DE Bert @ KA2UUP
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 08:13:06 AM »

There's not reason the beam wouldn't "work" with all the elements at a 45 degree angle.  Electrically, that's really the same as them being all horizontal, or all vertical, or any other angle -- if the antenna was mounted on a non conductive support. Ionospheric propagation doesn't favor any polarization.

However, mechanically there are reasons not to do this!  It puts a strain on the bracket and the mast as the mast will try to "pull" or "tilt" in the direction of the "higher" elements; it will create an imbalance in aerodynamic properties which could cause the antenna to fail prematurely; and it could cause traps to not drain properly.

Electrical performance can also be impacted if the antenna's mounted on a conductive support (metal mast/tower) because 1/2 the elements are closer to that support than the other half are; the antenna will only be electrically "balanced" when both sides of all elements have the same local clutter (mast, tower, other stuff).

WB2WIK/6
N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »

WB2WIK..............HUH..........I already admitted to being a dumb hed......sheesh now you have me and everyone else confused with all your electrical this and electrical that.....please read my last blog....sheeeesh.....I already know I have to go back up and fix the problem.

Please take this the right way.......WHO CARES,,,,,,,,, about the electrical this or that......I'm going to fix it.....The antenna worked perfectly during the Ten Ten contest......and my SWRS are fantastic......

Mike
N0NOB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 05:48:43 PM »

Mine up 25ft Check this site
 http://www.sonikblue.co.uk/g3zbe/Ma5b.htm

Very informative writeup about the MA5b
N1IZE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 08:17:22 AM »

A nother quick question have you ever tried to tune it just for the heck of it on 40 mtrs if so and it does, how does it perform- U can directly answer me at actman81@yahoo.com
N1IZE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 07:13:04 AM »

Well< I appreciate all the information- I purchased and have the Ma5b up for 2 weeks now- I have spoken into Europe- Serbia-croatia, Italy, spain, Isreal, England- Portugal, Ireland All with a  5/9+ signal accept Isreal was a 5/7. First I never heard these stations with my vertical or a wire, secondly, I never got the signal reports like I do with the Ma5b. I have compared my performance with antennas that are advertisized with more db gain, and more expensive, Conclusion- a 1000$ antenna, works similary to the Ma5b which is less money.

I would recommend the MA5B for price- fit, form and function- Cushcraft made a damn good product!!

Please feel free to contact me for a person view and I will even send some pictures of my antenna installation actman81@yahoo.com
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: