Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FIF-232C  (Read 3204 times)
K1LLR

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:42:53 AM »

having problems with the interface..computor wont recognize my radio(FT1000d).the on light goes out when i turn on the radio.i appreciate all the help i received here looking for the proper cord to connect the interface,,thanx.Paul
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 08:35:19 AM »

You do of course know that you do not need that fancy interface to run SSTV and digital modes, or do you?

Download MMSSTV from the web/version 1.11G.  Install the program and click on the help tab located on the top of the program start page.  Click on the interface topic and you will see a single common transistor key circuit that probably costs you absolutely nothing to build.

Just hook up the key interface, sound into the radio and sound out of the radio per toe accessory jack connections (see your owners manual for pin descriptions)

WHY spend any money on something you can build for a mere few dollars at most yourself.

I made my own key interface and computer connections free of charge just from parts scavanged from old computer boards and old computer cables.
K1LLR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:41:34 AM »

i am not interested in digital modes.i got the interface included wth the radio_FT1000D) i just want to use ham radio delux,Thanx Paul
W6VPS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:01:24 AM »

I used HRD on my Yaesu FT-840 with NO interface. It was plug and play (almost) Had I wanted to use any digital modes with HRD I believe I would have had to use an interface. But for rig control only it was not needed. Have you tried it W/O the FIF-232?

Might be worth a shot, worst case...nothing'll happen.
K1LLR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:19:25 AM »

i dont know what HRD is..and where do i get a cord that goes from radio to comp?
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 10:16:33 AM »

As I remember from your previous post, you're looking for a 25 pin to 25 pin connector to go from the interface to your computer.

These can be found at Staples.com

A search (DB25M/DB25M) at Staples.com yielded the following:

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p1_Miscellaneous-Cables_102194_Business_Supplies_10051_SEARCH

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p1_Parallel-Cables_10989_Business_Supplies_10051_SEARCH

Both are 25 pin male to 25 pin male cables.

Frank, W1NK
K1LLR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 10:30:09 AM »

i have the cable now,the problem is the computor will not read the radio,the red lite on the interface goes off when i turn on the radio,,Thanx Paul
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 11:04:16 AM »

<< i just want to use ham radio delux,>>

<< i dont know what HRD is>>

HRD is Ham Radio Deluxe, what you are trying to use. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 11:06:14 AM »

I found this on one of the HRD (Ham Radio Delux) web sites: After all connections have been made, switch on the radio first, followed by the computer, and finally connect the FIF-232C to the wall outlet and switch it on. Your external control program may now be loaded into the computer.

Have you followed that power up sequence?
K1LLR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 12:42:10 PM »

thanx but that did not work,,any more hints?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 01:17:09 PM »

Looking at the schematic I found for the FIF-232, it appears that the LED is wired across the 5V power supply. If it goes out when you turn the radio on then I'd say something must be wired incorrectly in the cable between the FIF-232 and the radio and shorting out the the FIF-232's 5V supply.

The LED should be lit any time AC power is applied to the FIF-232 and its power switch is turned on, even if no computer or radio is connected to it.

If you google fif-232 you can find a good deal of information about it and HRD.
K1LLR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 01:21:36 PM »

i think the 25 pin cable i bought is not straight thru,possibly it is crossed over or something. i will test each terminal for continuity and see if that is the problem..thanx..pk
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 02:12:32 PM »

To Original Poster...

That same keyer, audio interface cables for the MMSSTV program also work for PSK, RTTY, Digital SSTV and all digital/audio based modes that use a sound card in a computer.  The program used on the computer is not of any importance be it DX Lab, MMSSTV, or whatever as long as it requires a computer sound card to function properly.

My SSTV keyer and sound cables work for all modes that require a computer sound card.

W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 02:18:26 PM »

There seems to be an FT-1000 CAT firmware version issue that may cause these problem. I noticed this on the following website that sells CAT interfacing cables:

http://www.xggcomms.com/page17.htm

Scroll down until you see the cable for the FT-1000.

Whether this is a problem with the FIF-232 and your FT-1000D or not, I can't say.

Here's some additional info on the FIF-232 interface.

http://www.hamradio.pl/sq9jdo/_Sprzet/Yaesu/FT-890/fif-232.htm

I thought of purchasing a used FIF-232 to interface my FT-857D to my computer. However, I decided to build my own using a MAX-232 TTL to RS-232 converter. Very simple to build and works very well.

I suspect the FIF-232's IC chip may be bad or the wiring to the 6 pin plug that plugs into the CAT socket on the rear of your FT-1000D is not correct.

You may be better off buying a different interface cable and putting the FIF-232 on the shelve. Here's a source of a cable:

http://www.hosenose.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=usb&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamType=Exact&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&btnSearch.x=9&btnSearch.y=10

Mike
W5RKL

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 06:33:48 PM »

You may need 2 cables.  most radios have a DB 9 port on the back that goes into a straight through cable to the computer.  If the computer doesn't have a serial port, then you need a serial to USB converter. some work some don't.  I use the Keyspan 19HS and it works.  This is for rig control, like HRD.

you may also need  a second cable for software digital modes. this could be a c-iv cable for icoms to special cables for others.  this sends the signal through to the soundcard, or use a signal link.

http://members.fortunecity.com/w2eny/       for icoms stuff

buxcomm.com        for rascal

or west mountain radio for rig blaster.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: