Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TH3-MK3 & BETA MATCH  (Read 1314 times)
KP4CEL

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2007, 06:55:59 PM »

I was ready to complete assembling a nice Hy-Gain TH3-Mk3 that I acquired a few years back and then realized that I lost one of the beta match rod. Now, I was just thinking in just remove the whole beta match and connect the antenna directly to the BN-86 balun and the adjust the antenna to the best match on all three bands. Since I am not an antenna expert I would like some advice if it will be ok to remove the beta match.

Appreciate some input.

TNX 73
Jose KP4CEL
Tampa, FL
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:55:54 PM »

The beta match is required for the antenna to work properly.

The beta match parts for the MK3 are no longer available. But you can retro-fit your TH3-MK3 with the solid-rod "hairpin" beta match assembly used in the current TH3-MK4, which is much simpler than the aluminum tubing arrangement used on the MK3.

You can look at it in the MK4 instruction/assembly manual which you can download from the Hygrain web site at: http://www.hy-gain.com/man/pdf/TH-3MK4.pdf

You can order the parts from Hygain.

Contact their Tech Support - (662) 323-9538 - which I've always found to be very helpful.

Good luck!

Mel - KS2G
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 08:15:58 PM »

". Now, I was just thinking in just remove the whole beta match and connect the antenna directly to the BN-86 balun and the adjust the antenna to the best match on all three bands"

I'd also advise against this... Best case is that it's likely you won't be able to get lower than 2:1 SWR on any band if you adjust the driven element.

It's just a piece of 3/4" aluminum tubing according to the manual... nothing special, just get a new one.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 04:43:15 AM »

As I recall, the beta match affects the length of the driven element.  You would do best by keeping the original design of the antenna intact!

-Mike.
KP4CEL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:45:52 AM »

Thanks all for the advice, I just purchase the 3/4" aluminum tube and will install the beta match as required.

TNX

Jose KP4CEL/Tampa Fl
SKYNARD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 04:25:39 AM »

does any one have a manual on the th3mk3 , all I have to go with is the spec. from the mk4 are they the same ? phone settings thanks  Bruce, K0BDL
KP4CEL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 05:40:39 AM »

Bruce, check your email. I email you a pdf copy of the manual.

Jose KP4CEl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: