Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS 850 Display  (Read 1161 times)
KB0ZF

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2008, 09:56:54 PM »

Hi There. I just powered
on my Kenwood TS 850S
and the display popped
on and than died! It is
totally blank and tried
shutting down and
powering back up.
Everything else works
fine-audio, etc. Is there a
common cause for this?
Thank you, Eric KB0ZF
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 02:46:12 AM »

Google yeilds a link to: http://www.qsl.net/k0bx/

There is a page on display problems.

Carl - W9PMZ
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:45:35 AM »

There is a thread on this problem a few pages back.  It was from myself...  It is a common problem.  More than likely it is C-18 on the display board.  It is easy to replace.  However, there is a good chance that C-18 has "leaked" its electrolytic compound onto the PCB and caused some trace damage.  This was the case in mine.  It is somewhat easy to repair with a "jumper" to deliver the voltage.  Be careful in removing the bad cap.  The holes for the mounting are very delicate as they are "feed through" type and require solid connection on both sides of the board.

If you are not "comfortable" in doing this kind of work find a ham in your area who is good with technical stuff.  Sending it to a service center will be costly (with shipping and all about 175-200 bucks).  That is a high price to pay for a 50 cent part replacement.  

Some say the whole face needs removed.  That is simply not the case.  Removing the top and bottom covers and loosening the top two screws that hold the front on and completely removing the bottom two screws facilitates the "flipping up" of the whole front unit.  Then there are 5 screws that hold the display unit on and only 1 ribbon cable to disconnect.  C-18 is right there and ready for you to replace it.

The process takes about 1 to 1.5 hours to perform if the solder traces are damaged.  "ring out" all the paths and connections once you remove C-18 to determine if there is trace damage.  Refer to the service manual PCB views to see where all the traces make their paths.

GL and if you have questions just ask.
The TS850 is a great rig and worth keeping on the air.

Here's a link to the "previous display thread" I mentioned earlier.

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/190513  

jimmie (KC8BYF)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 07:27:27 PM »

It's C18, as the others have said. But there are 2 other caps on the board. Replace all 3. You can get them at Radio Shack for about $4. I think I went up to the next value in voltage rating. I did the repair and it's pretty easy. The traces might be damaged, so you might have to run jumpers with wirewrap wire. You won't notice the damage, until you remove the caps. Then you'll see the damaged traces.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: