Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT 897 Tx Gnd on ACC  (Read 1150 times)
K2PBO

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2006, 02:23:19 PM »

My FT 897 CAT jack is in use for HRD. According to the schematic there is a way to get TX-Gnd (to key my linear via relay) onto the 3.5" ACC jack by moving a jumper on J1027. Does anyone have a pix or location of J1027, or best way to get to it? (No answer from Yaesu on 2 emails.)

Thanks,
Steve K2PBO
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 07:29:15 PM »

http://www.mods.dk/mod/yaesu/DG2IAQ_Modification_Sheet_YAESU_FT-897.pdf

that PDF explains almost every mod possible for the FT-897.  Hope it works out for ya!

73 de KB3LSR
K2PBO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 02:11:59 PM »

Thanks - I read the pdf in detail, but it does not cover this topic. I have heard from another source that this feature (ablilty to move an internal jumper to get another copy of the tx-gnd lead on the ACC jack), is only available on the FT-897D. The schematic of my new  897D shows it is there. However, Yaesu still has not answered either of my emals on the location and best way at getting at the needed jumper on J1027. At this point, I don't want to open the rig to search, without a photo or pointer. I am about to write them a snail-mail letter asking for more info. If I hear anything else I will post it, as this feature would be really useful to those of us using the CAT connector for something else like HRD.

Thanks -Steve K2PBO
K2PBO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 07:52:05 AM »

It works!

Thanks to a couple of leads from European hams on the HRD Forum, I discovered that:

1 - The FT897D indeed has the ability to pass a TX Gnd signal to its ACC jack, if an internal jumper is changed.

2 - The jumper is labled J1027 on the schematic and J27 on the PC board. It is located at the inside top rear very close to the grounding screw.

3 - The jumper can be reached by removing the 8 phillips screws on the edges of the top cover (not the 2 near the speaker), and sliding the top cover back a bit. No connectors have to be removed since you only have to slide the top cover back a slight bit.

4 - It's best to use needle nose pliers to move the jumper. The 897D ships with pins 1-2 jumpered. You need to change this to pins 2-3 jumpered. Its about a 10 second procedure.

5 - Be sure to heed the manual's warnings about intefacing to older rigs, and the current and voltage limits on the 897D's keying circuit. In my case I used a small intermediary relay with 13 V on one side of the coil and the other side driven to ground by the TX-Gnd signal of the 897D. That relay then produces an old fashioned contact closure that keys my SB-220.

6 - I started this quest because I wanted to use Ham Radio Delux via the 897D's CAT/Linear and that tied up the TX-Gnd that appears there. My earlier attmpts to tap into TX-Gnd from that jack worked, BUT produced much RF noise. The CT-62 Yaesu cable (used without trying to extract a separate Tx-Gnd) is very quite, however.

I hope this helps. I'm told that this capability only exists on the FT-897D not the FT-897. Yaesu is strangley quiet about this great feature.

Cheers,

Steve K2PBO    
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 04:04:11 PM »

Hi Steve,
Is the TX/GND then passed to the tip or center of the 3.5mm jack?

Thanks,
Jack
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 04:07:19 PM »

Hi again, Steve,

RE: Is the TX/GND then passed to the tip or center of the 3.5mm jack?

It would seem that it's most likely the center band, not the tip, since it functions as TX REQ before the jumper is moved, but I need to ask to be sure.

Thanks much,
Jack
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 05:54:13 PM »

Thanks, Steve, for letting me know it's the tip.
Cheers,
Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: