Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking Ranger  (Read 542 times)
W6RLF

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2002, 04:33:06 PM »

I recently purchased a Viking Ranger I.  A few quirks, but works basically well on CW.

One problem: The VFO can be a little "squirrelly".  I want to get into it, and have gotten off all the screws holding the top on, except for the two facing front, where the clearance between the front side of the VFO case and the front panel is about 1/2".  The right-angled screwdrivers sold in hardware stores won't do it, as they are longer than 1/2" after the bend.

Does anyone know of a tool, or have a suggestion, that will keep me from having to take the whole front panel off (with all that implies) just to get these two screws out?

Thanks,

Paul
W6RLF
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2002, 08:55:18 PM »

http://w4pnt.8k.com/refinishing.htm
K0AL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2002, 09:07:33 PM »

Paul,

My suggestion is to "bite the bullet" and get right in there. I've done the surgery and once you are there it is not all that bad. Be careful about the vernier assembly that the pointer is attached to. Once the panel is off, be sure to remove the 18K resistor that is mounted inside the vfo assembly. I mounted it below the unit on a terminal strip. Clean the capacitor wipers well with a contact cleaner.

While you are at it, probably want to replace the older paper and electrolytic capacitors uner the chassis.

Does your unit have the TSK (Time Sequenced Keyer) which is a small sub panel mounted behind the mode switch to the left of the vfo? If yes, there is electrolytic there than when it goes sour can give a raspy signal.

The Ranger is a great transmitter, but runs very warm. I chose to leave the 2 wire fused plug, but the first wire you connect to the Ranger is the chassis ground and the last wire you disconnect is the ground.

GL es 73

Al, K0AL
W6RLF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2002, 02:47:00 PM »

Al,

Thanks very much for your comments!  You've given me some good stuff to go on!

Paul
W6RLF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2002, 11:56:56 AM »

Al,

Re-reading your post, you talk about "removing" the 18k resistor, then apparently re-mounting it "below" the vfo (I assume you mean under the chassis.)  Two questions:

1.  Am I interpreting your suggestion correctly?

2.  Out of curiosity, what problem is that solving?

Thanks es 73,

Paul
W6RLF
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2002, 11:16:42 AM »

Paul - I have a detailed front panel removal and re-install set of instructions, as well as a step-by-step modification article for the Ranger.  Not sure how far you've gone with this, but email me at ad5x@arrl.net if interested and I'll email you all the info.

Phil - AD5X
W9LBB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 05:13:28 PM »

Hi.

Re. the squirrely VFO;

One old and very common modification was to replace the 6AU6 VFO tube with a 6AH6. In some rigs, this seems to help clean up the CW note on the higher bands...   the same fix applies to the Heathkit DX-100, and the Valiant.

It's a direct plug - in change; no circuit mods necessary.

It works on some transmitters, not all.

YMMV...

73's,

Tom, W9LBB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: