Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching Diodes  (Read 539 times)
W5DWH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 12:20:23 PM »

From my experience, technicians think in terms of electron flow and engineers use conventional flow.
In my two years of community college, electronics was taught with electron flow. After transferring to a university, it reversed direction.

I have to say that it did take me nearly a semester to get used to current flowing from positive to negative.

Once I started teaching EET at a community college, I used electron flow for DC & AC classes and then switched to conventional flow for semiconductors. I never had a student complain  (at least not about that). Since semiconductor symbols are drawn for conventional flow, it is easier to teach theory that way.

Donald W5DWH
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 02:09:01 PM »

So to get Alternating Current, you need to commute between a community college and a university at a pretty good clip, right?

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 01:50:06 PM »

seems to me the whole world taught  flow from neg to pos, except the navy, did pos to neg.  It really don't matter if you learn the "rules " for your directiuon, but learning both can confuse. this was in the mid 60's.  remember eli the ice man, and biloxi beer rots our young guts but viliot gives willingly, ( for the resistor code) and so on.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: