Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newie 10 meter question  (Read 460 times)
KE5SSK

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2008, 06:17:16 PM »

I have a Icom 718, and an Hy gain AV-640 Antenna. I have trying to work the 10 meter area. I hear noone on it. I have checked my SWR and power meters they say all is good. I am on eary afteroon and evening. I just read the lastest QST mag that stated 10 meter is booming, and there is a big 10 meter DX contest in December. Any ideal what I am doing wrong. Any Help is welcome.
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 06:31:38 PM »

Check this website to see if the band is open or not.

http://www.vhfdx.net/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=28&Map=NA&mycall=&myloc=&freq=&prop=
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 06:37:40 PM »

Sometimes 10-meters is hot, sometimes it's not. We are currently in a sun spot minimum, where 10-meter propagation is really rotten, but conditions will improve dramatically when the sun spots come back.

You can check band conditions at http://maps.dxers.info/gmap/?b=10m, where you can toggle between all the popular bands and see current activity. As of this writing, 10-meters was dead but 40 was good for US-European DX. Keep you eye on the dxers maps and your ear on the 10-meter band; it does open from time to time.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 06:41:25 PM »

10m openings to almost all places right now will be Sporadic E opening, an unpredictable ionization of the E layer of the ionosphere.

It's *much* more common in between maybe April and September.  You might hear some at other times of the  year (I think there was some weak Sporadic E today, but it didn't seem to extend up to 10m; I was hearing some loud W9 stations on 15m which is not normal for right now)  

Anyway keep your ears open, but don't expect 10m to be "booming" even in the contest.

The contest will help in the sense that if there's an opening at all, stations will be on, but when there's no Sporadic E opening, the band will be basically dead.

In a few years, 10m will have good openings via F2, that is, bouncing off signals from the predictably ionized F layer of the ionosphere.  That's what causes the openings on lower HF right now, but at the moment, that's basically shut down on 10.

Don't give up, though.  I also started at the bottom of the sunspot cycle trying to work 10m and I had fun.  I listened to a *lot* of static, but every once and a while there was a very strong opening to somewhere.  Some afternoons, I'd hear nothing, others all of a sudden the band would be wide open to Oklahoma or Florida.

The typical thing will be to listen to static on 10m, but the openings are exciting ;-)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 08:17:37 PM »

Or, tune down onto 11 meters (CB) and listen for some of the "big strappers" on CH 6 and 11 and 28. If you hear activity then maybe, just maybe, 10 might be open for business!!!!
K5PEW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 08:32:40 PM »

I doubt you are doing anything wrong. At this point in the solar cycle 10 Meters is open only when it wants to, and it mostly doesn't want to. When you see several days in a row of sunspot activity, 10 is likely to have some action, especially if there is also a solar flare of even minor significance.

Here are several essential weblinks if you are interested in working 10 Meters successfully:

http://userpages.troycable.net/~wj5o/bcn.htm

http://www.ham-radio.ch/dxc/

http://www.amfmdx.net/propagation/Es.html

http://dx.qsl.net/propagation/propagation.html

Also type Sporadic Es, MUF, 10 meter DX, HF propagation, Radio wave propagation, etc into Google for more info than you can read in a lifetime.

I have had excellent success on 10 Meters here in the dwell between solar cycles. You will find that for the next 1-2 years patience is a virtue on 10 Meters, but your reward will be worth the wait. When it does open it is great fun.

Whoever said "10 Meters is booming right now" must have meant RIGHT NOW, as in at the moment they wrote, because right now the only time 10 is open is RIGHT NOW, whenever that happens to be. In two years from now, that will be a very different story.

Good luck and write about your successes on 10 Meters.

Graham Welch - K5PEW
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 02:37:00 AM »

10 meters is anything but booming right now!  At this point in the sunspot cycle, you just aren't going to hear much on 10 meters.  There may be so slight openings in the winter time, but it may be another year or two before 10 meters comes back to life.  When 10 meters up, it is the band I most want to be on.  There is a great dea of DX that can be worked with a small antenna and low power.  I tried working the 10 meter phone contest last December and was only able to work maybe 4 or 5 stations, and I don't expect that this year will be much better unless we get an opening.  There was a great 10 meter opening back in June during the 10-10 summer phone contest.  I am going to try for 10 meter WAS when the band comes back up here in a few years.

Mike KU4UV
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 05:30:05 AM »

Have a listen for the beacons. If you can hear one of them, then provided it's not in your backyard and still S1, it's conditions.

We need the Palos Verdes Sundancers to get to work!
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 07:21:40 AM »

It's not December.
KE5SSK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 09:29:46 AM »

Many Thanks all, the reference material was very helpfull. I quess I need to start really working on getting a General ticket.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 07:46:33 AM »

Yes, 10 meters is difficult right now.  You should get a local ham to listen and verify that you signals are leaving.  Note that info in QST is probably several months old due to publishing times.
As for General, it would be a good time to work on it!  Its not too hard, and it will give you a lot more privledges.
And soon 10 meters will be opening, so keep trying!
73s.

-Mike.
KE5KFP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 11:49:14 AM »

I have been monitering 10m as well. Occasionally the band opens up. this weekend I was getting into Ecuador. If it would help, maybe we could schedule a qso. Just let me know what freq. and time. I am in new mexico.
KE5KFP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 11:50:05 AM »

I forgot to add, you can e-mail me at ke5kfp@arrl.net
K5PEW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 07:19:29 PM »

Take a listen to 10 Meters (and 12, 15, 17 and 20) on Sunday 11/02/2008. There are some new sun spots and it looks like a couple more are rotating to the visible disc of the Sun.

Today (Saturday) there was no 10 meter activity to speak of, but there was alot of action on 15. There was also a VERY small flare event today, which sometimes causes a high band opening with a somewhat delayed reaction. I can't promise you'll hear even a peep on 10, but from my experience it would not be unlikely to have an opening there tomorrow.

Listen from 28.200 - 28.300 for the CW beacons. If you can hear them, the band is open from your region to whatever region that beacon is in.

Good luck!

Graham Welch - K5PEW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: