Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tempo One with wild IC  (Read 743 times)
WD0GNN

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2004, 12:15:54 AM »

Now this is a strange problem. I load the rig just fine. Power and IC are good. After about 2 minutes into warm up the IC goes to 400ma (in either ssb or tune posision) and the mic gain won't do anything. At this point I hear a little pop sound in the speaker. I turn it off a few minutes and do the same thing. Same results. Could this be the driver tube shorting or is it a more serious problem? I would appreciate any help and comments. 73's
Dean
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 02:23:11 PM »

You've lost bias on the power amplifier tube grids.  Could be a shorted coupling cap between the driver and the grids of the PA tubes, or could be a power supply failure -- could be a lot of things, but the symptom is common for bias failure.

WB2WIK/6
WD0GNN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 07:43:37 PM »

Thank you for the info. Ok, here is the funny part. Even when IC goes wild I still get full power out on 80,15 and 10 meters.(so the 6JS6A tubes should be ok) I get low output on 40 and 20 in normal sideband but normal output in reverse position. It's driving me nuts. This makes me wonder if it could have anything to do with the carrier crystal oscillator. Maybe the 12AU7 tube shorting? But I don't know if this would have anything to do with the IC problem. I just had this rig shipped to me off ebay so it probably got a good shaking up. I'm hoping it's just a tube.(or 2 or 3, hi hi) I bought it from a power seller with over 2000 feedbacks so I feel I may not have been lied to. Again, thank you for your reply,
Dean
wd0gnn
Omaha,Ne.
WD0GNN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 05:17:43 PM »

Latest follow up on my problem. It turns out the problem was the 7360 balanced modulator tube. Pins 2 and 9 were shorted. Now all I have left to do is align it for peak output on 15 and 10 meters. 75 and 40 is running 125 watts out now. Thank you for your help.
73's
Dean
WD0GNN
KB5CQF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 02:40:59 AM »

Dean,

I have the solid state replacement for the 7360 BM tube in the Henry Tempo One (actually, it's a Yaaazooo built rig).  It does require wiring modifications to use, but if you want it as a 'just in case' (the 7360 is gettin' scarce), I'd be happy to ship to you at no cost.  I bought a lot of four Tempo Ones that were non-functional, and after getting three up, running and sold, I had some remains.  Also have the manual around here too... Anyway, shout if you are interested...

Ted Forrest
KB5CQF
tedforrest@bellsouth.net
WD0GNN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 08:46:20 AM »

Hello Ted.
That sounds great. I mailed you my address. Thank you very much.
Dean
wd0gnn
KC8YXA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 10:07:17 PM »

could I get the modification Im restoreing and old T1 myself
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: