Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As someone else once posted -- Why?  (Read 994 times)
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 06:59:49 PM »

I bought my current house before I was licensed, but I considered the possibility that I might get a ham ticket and want to have a decent antenna, so I bought a place ...

with at least two tall trees far enough apart to support an HF dipole,
with enough space to allow for a decent tower,
far enough from the airport to allow for a decent tower, and
with no CC&Rs or zoning restrictions on towers.
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 07:27:07 PM »

Oh, one other thing ...  I bought a place on a ridge 110 ft above average surrounding terrain.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 07:14:33 AM »

<< Top this for wimpiness: One of the local DXers wasn't allowed anything more than a small vertical by his wife... who was blind!>>

How would she know? Smiley

Yea, he wins the Wimp of The Year award.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB3HJK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 09:04:13 AM »

I live in the most opressive ham environment imaginable. Moved here before I got my license, and also for proximity to work. Still, there has to be a better qth in this city.

As far as ALWAYS erecting an antenna, try this one on for size. High rise apartment building, ground floor. A sliding back door, which opens to a heavily traveled sidewalk. Behind the sidewalk, a common area courtyard with a few small trees. Any transmission line would have to cross the sidewalk. Any antenna, no matter how stealth (thin wire) would be spotted by the landscaping crew that comes once a week to manicure the courtyard. It really cannot get too much worse.

So, my solution? The hell with them, I'll just be blatant and take the risk. I run my line out over the sidewalk, and set up hamstick dipoles and a Sigma-5 right in plain view on the courtyard, against all the rules. For almost three years of doing this, I have not had any significant problems. The people have become conditioned, I think, and just ignore the whole thing. And if they do say something, that will just be more motivation to get outta there!

Kevin
N9ZMO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 02:32:11 PM »

It comes down to compromise I think. I am very fortunate to have a wife that is also a Ham and active on the air. I enjoy sharing the hobby with her and she calls me her 'logger' when she's on the air Smiley

73, Kurt / N9ZMO
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 10:43:55 AM »

I chose this (antenna restricted) neighborhood because I am naturally disputatious and am addicted to rebellious, and argumentative behavior.

That is why I love the internet: it is an infinite source of incorrect, incomplete or paradoxical information, and therefore gives me a lifetime supply of debate fodder.

:-)

(Yes, this is facetious.)

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: