Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KWM2A bandswitch shields  (Read 390 times)
K0IZ

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2003, 04:58:55 PM »

I have a late model KWM2a.  The under-chassis shields (4) over the bandswitch sections have dents.  I'm looking for replacements.  Anybody help?  Thanks.  John.
K5PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 03:34:16 AM »

Hi John ... If the dents aren't too bad, they probably can be removed, since the shield metal is fairly light.  To get the shields out, you will have to undo the hardware that holds the bandswitch shaft in place. After you slide the shaft out (being careful not to disturb the switch wafer positions after you do this), you will then be able to undo the shield mounting hardware and remove the shields.  

It would also be a good idea to wire-brush the lugs that hold the shields to the chassis as well as the edges of the shields themselves.  Then apply an anti-oxidant such as Deoxit. After several years, a thin film of corrosion sometimes develops at these points, resulting in "floating" shields and an obscure case of instability.

Stu, K5PB
Collins Radio, Retired.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: