Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAM RADIO TOY STORE IN WHEATON IL  (Read 1746 times)
K9KEN

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:16:29 PM »

Anyone know if this Amateur shop is still in biz?
I had a buddy buy a quite a few thing from this place, and always good deals? I called their number and the phone is disconnected!

Thanks
W9XAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 04:34:03 AM »

Sorry to say he closed his doors almost 2 years ago.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 04:54:47 AM »

Roberto is still around but he couldn't keep up the store and take care of his family.  Very nice guy for sure.
K9WJL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 06:51:16 AM »

Chuck at Penninger Radio told me about a year ago he's Selling Roberto's stock off from his store.
His store is in West Chicago, in front of where Zero-Five makes their antennas. Anyway when I was there, The shop was still being put together, but it looked promising.

http://www.penningerradio.com/
W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 03:23:08 PM »

Roberto and I have been good friends for about 30 years. Bought lots of things from his Toy Store over the years; spent lots of field days with him as we were members of the same club in the west suburbs of Chicago. Helped him at hamfests a few times and even worked behind his counter a couple times to give him a hand. Semi lost track of him after I retired and moved to FL 5 1/2 years ago. But did find a little info from old time friends.

The building the store was in was to be torn down and he had family obligations with limited ability to relocate at the time. So the Toy Store closed a couple years ago. He is still active to a lesser degree at fests in the Midwest/great lakes area. His e-mail is WA9E@comcast.net  Also his QRZ post may help -- he's been at the same QTH on mark St. in Glendale heights (25 miles west of downtown Chicago) since at least the mid 70s.

Hope this helps. 73
John  W4FID (ex K9FID)
K9KEN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 11:48:54 PM »

Thank you all ! Sorry to hear the store closed ! He had great deals and you all are right he is a great guy!

Thanks
Joe
KB9YUR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 03:40:20 AM »

I've bought my fair share of goodies from Roberto over the years, including the Icom 746 in 2001. He's a great
guy and I've learned a lot from him as well. So, who's
left in the area (Other then AES in Milwaukee, WI)
where we can buy Amateur Radio stuff today?
Having grown up in the Humboldt Park area of Chicago
in the 1960's, I remember taking the bus (and later by car) to Allied Radio and Olson Electronics on Western Ave near Lake St. Those were certainly fun places to spend a few hours just looking around. Or how about Erickson Electronics on Milwaukee Ave or even Radio TV Labs on Irving Park Rd ?!? Those were fun days ...

George .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: