Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soldering PL-259 connectors to coax  (Read 1280 times)
KK7KZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 07:49:31 AM »

Steve,

Who manufactures the compression type PL-259. I did an internet search and came up empty.

Thanks!

Ron
G3TXQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 08:10:23 AM »

>>Who manufactures the compression type PL-259. I did an internet search and came up empty.<<

Ron, I don't know who the manufacturer is. I have bought two different styles in the UK:

Moonraker do a "long-body" style in both RG58 and RG213 versions:
http://www.moonrakerukltd.com/Connectors-and-Adaptors/Plugs-and-Sockets

Westlake do a "short-body" style which I prefer; it's more expensive but seems better quality:
http://whwestlake.110mb.com/connectors-components.pdf

I just looked at my "stock" but can't see any clues to the manufacturers. Here's a photo I just took of the two styles in case you're interested:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/pl259.jpg

Steve
KK7KZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 08:53:38 AM »

Thanks, Steve! I will keep looking, I am sure they are available somewhere here in the states.

Ron
G3TXQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 08:58:24 AM »

>>Thanks, Steve! I will keep looking, I am sure they are available somewhere here in the states.<<

Ron - I, too, did a quick search. There are lots of UK/European stockists but I could find none in the US. Perhaps that's because you folk know how to solder and we don't Smiley

By the way, they also seemed to be numbered PL-213BC and PL-58BC so you might try looking for those.

Good luck,
Steve
KK7KZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 09:03:26 AM »

Of course, another option is to buy the N to UHF adapter and fit all coax with N type fittings. I like the idea of the pressure sleeve/gasket for environmental protection.

Just guessing here but I think the N connection has slightly lower loss than the UHF connection, but that may be insignificant at HF frequencies.

Ron
GW0DIV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »

The "pencil sharpener" type co-ax cable strippers work well to prepare the cable. I got mine from DX Engineering for $40 (after post and packaging, import duty and value added tax on the cutter, the postage and the duty (17.5% tax on the tax!!!!! :0( ) it came to around $108!!!).

I use a butane powered iron, it has a hefty tip that stores lots of heat - even with my poor soldering skills I seem to get acceptable results.

Rhys
GW0DIV
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: