Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Omni VII Vs K3  (Read 885 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:14:38 AM »

I ma shopping for a new HF, and I wuld like to get an American HF so wich one would be the best option K3 or Ten tec omni VII
ZS6AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:28:07 AM »

I think it would depend on the intended use of the rig. For DXpeditioning and serious contest work, I would choose the K3. For Dxing and ragchewing, I'd probably go with the OMNI-VII. YMMV.

Andrew
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 12:00:14 PM »

What are your interests?  How much CW do you do?
These are both EXCELLENT radios, you cannot go wrong with either!
73s.

-Mike.
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 12:44:51 PM »

Why not test drive the Omni VII?  All new Ten-Tec equipment (factory direct) is sold on a 30 day trial period.  If within 30 days of purchase you decide not to keep the radio, it can be returned to for a refund.  If you decide that you don't like it, you'll only be out the shipping both ways.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 02:01:07 PM »

I woulf compare the K3 to the tentec Orion II not the omni VII.  the omni VII iss a single reciever radio that can be used remotely over the internet.  and a good radio but different design.  

the Orion  or Orion II has 2 recievers, and lots of variables  and would be a much better contest/ dx radio.  I have  12 hf rigs and I use the orion  almost all the time.  

I also have a ft990, a ts 2000, a scout a pegasus, an IC 746 pro, two FT 857s, and a ft 847, among others.  I have played with the K3 and it is as good as the Orions, but I don't like the smaller  faceplate for my big hands.  

compare the K3 to the Orion.
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »

ok for the people that ask me how much CW I am going to be makeing probably very little, mostly SSB and maybe FM on 10 when it opens. also the reason I am comparing K3 agains OmniVII and not orion is because of the price. ok any comments please let me know
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 06:23:55 PM »

If you look at performance test results there is no comparison in performance. The K3 wins hands down. It is at the top of all radios.

I have one and it is the first radio I have owned or used that did not come with electrical design shortfalls.

The question is what features do you need.

If you only work SSB or FM and ragchew when the band isn't packed, then almost any radio would be OK. Just look for features you like.

If you want a compact high performance radio you can expand, then you might want a K3.

It really depends on what you are doing, not what other people like.

Since I chase DX and operate some contests and like a high performance radio that has a clean signal,  I wouldn't own anything new but a K3.  Other people have different uses.

73 Tom
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 07:16:47 PM »

Tom,

Have you measured the transmit two tone SSB IMD on the K3? Out of the three units I have tested the best was only 28 dB.

Are the more recent ones better?
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 05:36:39 AM »

I'm a big fan of the Flex 5K which is an American manufactured radio.  I haven't used a K3 but the 5K is a superior radio to the Orion.

73  W9OY
W1YB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 11:30:13 AM »

Hi EOZ,

The K-3 is a fine CW rig if - BIG IF - it is carefully assembled. I've used 4 of the K-3s 2 factory-assembled and 2 home-assembled. There were noticeable differences among the 4.  Both of the home-assembling jobs were performed by VERY experienced builders.

Also, the K-3 is not nearly as ergonomically enjoyable to me as any number of other extremely good, but less expensive radios. It is a very good contest receiver, no doubt, but even then it does not have the "Brick Wall" front-end of the Flex 5K.

If I were a hard-core dx-er, hard-core CW contester or did a lot of "important" dx-peditions I'd opt for a K-3. For day-to-day use I much prefer my Jupiter. If I had the $$$ I'd buy a Flex for the shack. My K-2 is unsurpassed (even by the K-3) as a portable/Field Day rig IMHO.

Keep in mind Ten Tec's 30 day money back policy. If you try the radio and don't like you can return it and only pay shipping charges. Elecraft needs to offer that same option.

Have fun in your selection.

73 de W1YB      
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 01:15:22 PM »

So if I am not wrong I get aout of the comments that if I ma not a Cw Operator which I ma not the K3 is not the way to go right?
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 07:51:13 AM »

CW is the thing aficionado's tend to use to judge transceiver performance.  It is why there are so many choices of "roofing filters" etc.  Those filter choices make the radio's performance improve when placed in a horse race with other receivers in a standardized testing situation.  

Ham radio transceiver design has become a slave to these testing protocol to the point where the "best" radio is the one who passes the test best.  Radios are designed to excel in this testing environment so manufacturers can claim bragging rights in advertising, after all who wants to not buy the "best" radio.  But these "best" radios by these testing standards are not necessarily the "best" radio for a given operator.  

It's kind of like shopping for a car.  It's nice if your 2 seat car can go 150mph, but not too practical if you have 4 kids.  Either radio will fill your bill nicely.  Flex is coming out with a new radio called the Flex 3K, which will be a little less versatile than the F5K (no second receiver capability, no multi antenna switching, and the ADC is in the codec instead of a high end ADC) but will only cost $1500 (of course you will need a computer as well)  I'm looking forward to its release early next year.  

73  W9OY

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: