Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Henry 2 K classic  (Read 343 times)
WB8JBG

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2008, 09:38:58 AM »

My henry circuit breaker trips when I switch to SSB. It will load and run ok in the CW mode, but when I switch to SSB the main circuit breaker trips and I get a funny smell, but not like a cap was going bad. It may be the switch itself, I just don't know.Any help would be appreciated. TNX.
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 09:47:23 AM »

Pull the plate caps on the tubes and see if the ckt bker still trips. It may be the plate transformer or filter cap also check the diodes in the HV string. Remember those amps are or can be 40 years old. PS If you have no amplifier experence please don't mess with it, find someone who understands HV and amplifiers and let him work on it. Thats how I got my last Henry 3K Ultra, the Hams wife was holding a test probe while he messed with it, she was blown away (almost) when the test probe exploded in her hand and almost killed her, I got the non working amp cheap 4 years later, I wonder why?
W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 11:13:18 AM »

When you switch from CW to SSB the high voltage is increased. You may be having a HV flashover to ground which only occurs when the HV is significantly above 2000 volts. Disconnect the HV line to the rf unit and see if your problem still occurs. If it doesn't, the problem is in the rf unit. Remove the two rf output doorknob capacitors and repeat the test. If it works ok then the problem is in the doorknob capacitors or in the Pi-L network. Repeat the test with the room lights dimmed and look for an arc in the rf compartment. After you find and fix the problem, check the choke across the RF output and verify it is not burned open. WARNING!!! Be sure the HV is discharged before touching any wiring. Don't defeat any interlocks.
WB8JBG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 01:25:37 PM »

I pulled the caps from the tubes and it still tripped. I also disconnected the HV plug from the RF deck and it still tripped. I noticed a flash underneath the RF deck, it looks like the switch is arcing?
WB8JBG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 01:28:05 PM »

It appears I am getting an arc on the CW/SSB switch, the breaker triped even when the HV plug was disconnecte. It smells metallic when it trips and arcs?
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 02:28:10 PM »

Sounds like a bad switch.

Swap the SSB/CW wires on the switch and see if it reverses the problem.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
WB8JBG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 06:50:53 AM »

I looked underneath the RF deck and found that the contacts on the SSB were not making good contact, it looks like they need cleaned. I'm going to try that and see what happens. TNX.
WB8JBG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 08:29:33 AM »

The switch is arcing when I switch to SSB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: