Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ft-897d low mic gain on ssb /md100  (Read 1482 times)
N2UNL

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2009, 09:11:40 AM »

I have a ft897d and the md-100. The mic doesn't drive on ssb. Very low RF output even when the setting is at 100% on the ssb menu setting in the radio. If i eat the mic it will work but don't think it should take that much audio to drive it. What can i do ? I tried the hand mic and it's about the same. Is there a service menu setting to increase this ? Or should i try a 8 band eq pluse ? would that help ?
  Thank to all who tries to help.. Brian
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:44:08 AM »

Brian I used to have an FT857D and the supplied mic worked fine for me, sold it ages ago as they are prone to overshoot on initial CW TX and sometimes on SSB which my linear didn't like. Anyway I always used speech processing at modest levels and it worked fine, no complaints of weak TX audio and I used it a lot on 6m and 2m SSB and FM while out portable.

Check the menu, too long since I got rid of mine...

73 Dave
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:52:14 AM »

YOu might want to check the bandpass switches in the base. If they're set wrong, the output will indeed be low.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 11:04:23 AM »

Yes, that is exactly the experience that I had with my MD-100 and my FT-857D. I finally ended up at about 85% and close talking it. Forget the power output scale. Watch your ALC metering and if it's moving, you're hitting full power.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
KC2RGW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »

Yeah, you do know about using an avg vs peak reading watt meter right?

897D and 857D have a tremendous amount of mic gain available...I would really bet there is no trouble there and you are pounding into the ALC and reading output on an avg reading meter rather than peak.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 05:26:47 AM »

Are you using the right impedance?  
I think that mic had a 600 Ohm/Hi-Z switch on it.

-Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: