The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cushcraft A3S 17m?  (Read 798 times)
K5KAB

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:03:06 PM »

Ok guys another question for the books. Is it possible to tune a A3S Cushcraft for 17 m ,or would I need to buy 17m traps? I was considering using my A3S for 10-15-17-40(with the add on) and use my LJ-204BA (4 element monobander 20/17m) on 20 meters.
K7RNV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 12:37:17 AM »

I had a a3s with the 40 mtr add on kit and no it will not tune very well..Your could burn up the traps that you have for the other bands if you use power..Get a 17 mtr dipole for cruscraft i think it will work better.. If you have the money, get a Steppir...73 Bob
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 03:28:56 AM »

They don't make 17M traps for an A3.  The element spacing is off.  CC does make a A3W built for 12 and 17.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 04:22:07 AM »

"Is it possible"... well, you can do anything with money!  But, is it practical?... No!
You could use the boom and add a couple of elements and a separate feedline, but then you have to worry about the increased wind loading, etc.  I wouldn't recommend it.
Instead, just hang a 17m dipole with separate feed off that tower and enjoy!
73s.

-Mike.
NU0R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:51:26 PM »

A while back there was a Ham here on e-ham who was trying to do the exact same thing, with the same antenna. I have no idea what his call was, but he did eventually get it to work. He used an antenna analyzer and just started shortening the end piece of aluminum until he found where it was resonant on 17 meters. Maybe he will chime in and tell you the correct dimensions. All I know is that he said that it worked for him.   Bruce
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: