Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Amp Repair people  (Read 272 times)
K3PRN

Ignore
« on: February 04, 2009, 06:33:24 AM »

Looking for hf amplifier repair person in the Maryland area.
Thanks,
Don K3PRN
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 07:22:40 AM »

An amp is a one stage  device.   power supply, active devices (tubes or Xsistors)  and a few chokes,  resistors, a couple of coils, tuning air capacitors.

not much to actually fail except the active devices  or pthe power supply.

So having  brand , model  and   symptoms ,might get you enough info to fix yourself.

Thats what hams do, fix their own stuff...

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 03:27:38 PM »

K9LYI,

That may well be, but if it is a tube amp, and the gentleman is not used to dealing with 2000+ volts, he could easily do himself serious harm - or worse.

I have a feeling he asked because he doesn't have the knowledge or experience to deal with whatever problem his amp has.

Don, give Peter Wittenberg, K2LRC, in Annapolis a call. His speciality is Collins, but I feel sure he will know someone in the area to refer you to, if he can't help you himself.

http://www.k2lrc.com/

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 06:36:55 AM »

LK    my point was  his question was rather vague,  as many questions on the different  BBS's are.

SEcond  He will never get "experience" if he doesnt try.    this also true for many of the questioners out there,  not just this  one.  

I think he has been a ham since  '61

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:24:54 AM »

What's vague? He asked for a HF amp repair person in Maryland. That's pretty self explanatory to me. Smiley

True, he didn't give any details, but that's another matter.

I've been a ham since 61, too, and I still don't like messing with 2,000+ volts, although I do it when necessary.

Telling someone to fix it themselves because that's what hams do, is not only simplistic, but rather smug. And it's dangerous if the ham doesn't know what they are doing.

At least he didn't ask how to solder a PL-259. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: