Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio/PS on Flight  (Read 352 times)
KC2VOB

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:39:19 AM »

Has anyone encountered problem taking radios and PS in a hand-carrying bag? TSA hasn't listed such equipments on the 'Prohibited Items' list. It's just to avoid last minute surprises.

Thanks,
KC2TPE
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:08:37 AM »

Depends if you are planning to stow it in the overhead bin!
Not a problem for security as long as you let them X-ray it, but the overhead bin gets filled and sometimes over-stuffed... now if you plan on keeping it in your lap during the whole trip, it should be OK.
(I'm talking physical damage here)

-Mike.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 06:53:09 AM »

I've worn my HT's on my belt (sans antenna) onto the aircraft without problems, but after turning it on and operating it at the security checkpoint.  Have also carried on, and stowed corporate electronic products after a thorough examination of both the product, and my credentials.
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 07:36:26 AM »

I travel a lot by air. Never had a problem carrying electronics on the plane. I've taken radios, GPS units, lab designed eval boards with wires hanging off them, satellite receivers... lots of stuff. Nobody has ever said a thing. In fact, I kind of wished someone had asked me what I was carrying.
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 08:18:30 AM »

K5DVW's experience is the same as mine.  I travel frequently by air and have carried all sorts of ham gear and instruments for my work.  Sometimes, I'm pulled over to have the items swabbed.  I just answer their questions concisely and don't make a huff about anything.  Usually, though, the biggest annoyance is schlepping the stuff around the airport in the first place.  
NJ2E

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 08:24:58 AM »

It WILL be stowed under a seat or in placed in the overhead. You will not be able keep it on your lap, to become a lap rocket( What flight attendants call a child who's parents who won't use a child seat). You may have trouble with cables or antennas. They could be determined to be a possible weapon. Remember a TSA agent has just a few moments to make a judgment as you pass. Just make sure you have your license with you and wear a smile and be cooperative. You are not clear about the size of the "Radio/PS". Wouldn't it be better to properly pack it and ship it to your destination? Think what could happen to those knobs and displays,while its stuffed in a bag. If you are staying at a hotel, call ahead and arrange for acceptance with a signature. Remember when dealing with law enforcement or security, this is only a hobby. Regards from a long time airline employee.  
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 09:25:14 AM »

Being a test engineer I've also carried some pretty strange items.

My last trip to Germany in December I had a 250W 40dB attenuator and a USB power sensor.  The German TSA folks did pull me aside and tested it for explosive material; best I could tell.  These items made it through our TSA without the blinking of an eye.....

My worst experience was a number of years ago coming back from the UK with a couple HP power sensors.  I was selected to go through the full customs process and I got a lot of grief for not having a "letter" to bring the items back (even though I took them out when I left).  They let me go....

Carl - W9PMZ
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 10:32:27 AM »

".....Wouldn't it be better to properly pack it and ship it to your destination? Think what could happen to those knobs and displays,while its stuffed in a bag....."

I that regard, a Pelican case is one of the best containers to ship, carry-on, or check as baggage.  Bright yellow makes them easy to see on the carousel, but perhaps more of a target for theives.
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 02:46:55 PM »

TSA treats it like you are carrying a cell phone. They only ask that you turn it on to see if it's the real thing.

You are not permitted to "use" it onboard during flight. Well "technically" you can but this requires permission from the airline and the flight captain. (Not a likely proposition) The reason they prohibit its use during flight is because, "it may interfere with thier flight instruments." At least that is what they say.

Apparently, a lot of "select" handheld electronics are banned for the very same reason. Like GPS devices etc but apparently they say using laptop which generates a massive amount of RF hash in comparison is somehow ok.  ?? Go figure...

KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 02:57:14 PM »

I don't recommend taping any loose wires hanging out the radio equipment to yourself using duct tape while carry the equipment.
KC2VOB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 05:46:09 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be hand-carrying my equipments to avoide potential theft and physical damage to them. Everything is enclosed in original boxes. It's a one-way trip. I'm building a hamshack outside the U.S., too.

My destination is full of thieves who open any package, take out what they like, and re-package it the way it was. So won't leave it on conveyer belt or ship through 3rd party.

73's
KC2TPE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: