Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-850sat/ Tech help  (Read 621 times)
N2UNL

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2009, 01:51:04 PM »

Replaced my dc-dc board and took care of the alc problem with no problems. Sill have a problem with a car. on usb only on all bands. It tx. a 10w car. on usb and shows on radio and ext. meter into a dummy load with no mic. pluged in just the send button pushed in. the more i turn the car. up the more the output is on usb only. What can cause this ?   Thank to all who offer help.  Brian
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:35:02 PM »

Sounds like the rig needs alignment, if you are getting a carrier on ssb (either lsb or usb) then the rig needs the carrier nulled out. This procedure is pretty easy to do and it is outlined in the service manual. A pretty common occurance when the rig has been worked on or it has some age behind it.

I believe its the carrier balance adjustment, its been so long since I had a rig with this issue that I forgot the terminology for the adjustment. Pretty easy fix though and maybe someone with a service manual will post the adjustment pot and procedure here for you. Regards Richy N2ZD
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:38:36 PM »

Here you go, from N6TR's page.. Lots of info on the 850 check it out!

TS-850 Carrier Balance Adjustment submitted by K6LL:

1. Open the bottom hatch of the TS-850.
2. On the IF unit, locate VR8 and VR9 (near the little Murata filter).
3. On the TS850: PROCESSOR OFF, MIC GAIN MIN, FREQ 14.2, MODE USB, POWER MIN.
4. Construct an RF voltmeter by sticking a silicon diode, such as 1N914 into the antenna socket. Connect a sensitive DC voltmeter between the diode and ground.
5. Push the SEND switch on the TS850 and adjust VR8 and VR9 for minimum indication on the voltmeter.
6. Make sure that BOTH of these controls are going through minimums. It is possible to get so far off on VR8, that VR9 has no effect.
7. Check that LSB is ok also.
8. For the best final measurement, take a piece of insulated wire, bare one end, and stick that end into the antenna socket of the 850. Bring the insulated wire NEAR the receive antenna connection of a second receiver tuned to the carrier frequency, and make fine adjustments to the null, with the POWER control set at MAX. Of course, do not connect the second receiver directly, in case your hand slips while you are making the adjustment! I just wrap the insulated wire around the center pin of a PL-259 connected to the second receiver.

KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 06:41:12 PM »

The idea here is to use the 2nd rx to listen to the 850 tx on ssb, once the rx drops out, the 850 is no longer txing a carrier along with the sideband. So follow the instructions and you should be back on the air in an hour.. Regards.. Richy
N2UNL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:36:48 PM »

OK thanks i'll let everyone know how it works out tonight. Wish me luck....
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:18:12 PM »

Its pretty simple, you simply want to get rid of the carrier from the listening rx and you are good to go. Just remember to check USB and LSB before you consider it finished. You should see 0 output on unmodulated (mic gain all the way down) ssb when you are done.

Richy N2ZD
N2UNL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 07:25:49 AM »

Wow that was easy, I just had to turn the vr9 a little and it went to 0 watts. checked the lsb also and it is also still 0 watts.  Thank you KB2CPW for the helpful reply. Hope to here you on the bands.

Thank You,  Brian  (N2UNL)
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 08:09:55 AM »

Hey, its official! You are a ham who works on his own radios!! LOL

I am glad it worked out for you. You did a good job of explaining your problem and I am glad I could help. That 850 is a nice rig, I had three of them. Now go enjoy it and I will see/hear you on the bands.. Let me know where you hang out and I will try and find you.. 73 Richy N2ZD
N2UNL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:39:17 AM »

OK i'm all over the bands. mostly 75, 20, 40. Like to listen to the 39333 group after i get home at midnight.  Maybe we can set up a time to contact each other.   Thanks again. it's like getting a new radio for chrismas.   Brian
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »

Dont tx on 39333, that not our band! LOL If you mean 3933, I am good friends with Tony W2MAZ and a few other guys who hang out there. Tell Tony I said hello!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: