Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High level electrical buzz on 2 radios  (Read 490 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2009, 07:02:14 PM »

I went to do some rag chew on 11 meters on my restored TRC-455, and noticed high electrical buzz. It is more noticeable when someone is transmitting, and it seems to be riding the carrier of the incoming transmission. So I turned on my Icom 746 to see if it happened on that, and it was worse on the Icom. So I started process of elimination.

I tried the TRC-455 on my Imax, and then the Icom 746 on both my Imax and my Hustler 5BTV (ground mounted in a swamp). The Icom registers S7 on the Imax, and S3 on the Hustler. I moved the dial on the Icom and the noise is across the board from about 10-12M. I didn't check beyond that. I also started shutting things off around the house, to see if it helps. Nothing.

I am out in the country. My antenna are in the back yard and back up to woods. It is usually so quiet, that my TRC-455 sounds like FM on 11M, and my Icom recieve is so sensative, I easily hear loud audio on signals that don't even register when I work 20M.

Any advice?

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 08:55:40 PM »

Move to the city where you can enjoy loud electrical interference across the ENTIRE spectrum!  Why limit yourself?   :-)

- Get in your pickup with a radio and start driving the power lines within a couple miles of your QTH.  Discretely drive by your neighbors too.  You'll find the source eventually.  It isn't coming from outerspace.

Your description is a bit hard to understand.  When you say the signal is "riding the carrier" do you mean that there is no buzzing noise on otherwise quiet frequencies?

Have you checked the rest of the HF bands?

Good luck!  Bill
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 04:31:51 AM »

You say you're out in the country?  There are things out in the country that aren't around the city that can cause you grief.  First, however, a couple of points.

Did you shut off the mains and try receiving on a battery setup?  If the noise is still there, you can be pretty sure your home is OK.  If it disappears, you have something in your house that is causing it, and the way to find that out is to turn the breakers on and off, one at a time until you find the circuit that has the noise producer on it.  Then go looking.

If your home is OK, do you have a neighbor who has an electric fence to keep livestock or horses from wandering?  How about a neighbor who has one of those buried dog fences--the ones that 'transmit' to a collar on the dog?  How about a street or an area light that may be about to fail?

These are a few of the more common things that may be causing your problem.  Let us know how you make out.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:34:39 AM »

One other thing--do you have a plug in 'wall wart' to power a piece of computer equipment or other equipment.  A lot of time people overlook these little things--that are sometimes the worst noise producers around!
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:13:30 AM »

The noise is gone this morning.

A couple things. I don't have a pickup (LOL). this is 2009. I have a minivan!

When I said it was riding the carrier, I meant on the TRC-455. It seemed quiet until someone keyed, and the noise was riding their transmission. That was when I decided to turn on the Icom. It was then I noticed that the noise was S7 just on receive, without anybody keying. So the Icom was far more sensative than the TRC-455. To my amazement, when I turned off the ANL and NB on the TRC-455, the noise then shot up high without riding someone's transmission. I didn't realize the TRC-455 had such a good NB.

As far as computers, it's the same setup I have had for 4 years, so it's not that. I did get a new Samsung LCD TV last night, but it wasn't that. I shut it off, and it is on this morning, with no noise

Someone on the CB said it was something to do with the cold weather. Not sure what he was talking about, as I don't recall this before.

Could not do a battery setup. Don't have one, but it's not a bad idea to get one.

Could not do the main power, as it was damn cold, and the heater fan seemed on all the time, and it was later in the night. I'd rather do that with no one home.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:14:09 AM »

If the noise is gone in the morning look for a sodium light. The are very popular in the country, are generally fed with overhead lines and radiate up to a half mile.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:04:50 AM »

Good advice. If it is a Sodium Lamp, what can I do?
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 08:12:36 AM »

"
Someone on the CB said it was something to do with the cold weather. Not sure what he was talking about, as I don't recall this before."

Changes in weather often change the arcing and sparking of intermittent power line hardware problems.

I have one power line arcing noise that only happens on cold, dry, windy days.  

"Good advice. If it is a Sodium Lamp, what can I do? "

If it's a public one, call the power company and report it.

My power company actually has a contact form on their website to report streetlight problems.  The noisy ones sometimes have some other issue, like they're weak at night or on during the day, which is convenient.  

They're not noisy unless something is going wrong... sometimes it takes a while for that thing to show up as something other than RFI though, so your success with getting it fixed will depend on your power company's attitude toward RFI.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 08:46:05 PM »

No noise tonight. You could hear a pin drop. Go figure.
MOTOR486

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 06:59:13 AM »

I have a similar problem. I recently adjusted the position of my dipoles in my backyard. Now I get an electrical buzzing on 40 meters, but only at night. I have ruled out anything in my house (previously I found that my under-cabinet, low voltage kitchen lights were causing a buzz)and think that I have tracked it down to the transformer in my front yard. When the transformer has an audible buzz sound, that's when my noise starts. Is there any way to reduce that buzz in my IC-718?  The buzz is up around S-8 on my S meter, and the attenuator on my 718 has no affect on it.
Thanks.

KJ4CBA
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 11:56:14 AM »

Turn off your electricity to your entire house at your main breaker.

Using a battery powered radio listen to see if the noise goes away.

IF the noise goes away then its in your home.  Start the process of elimination one breaker at a time and every appliance and light at a time as much as is practical.

The noise problem might be comming from several locations rather than just one.  If you find one problem item KEEP GOING and check out all the items.  You could have several items adding up to give you a big problem.

IF it does not and absolutely no electricity what so ever running into your house then can we say "Hello Electric Utility Company you might have a problem".

K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 11:26:36 AM »

Buy a .22
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »

Do you have one of those touch control lamps?  I recently had a problem with noise at home, especially when pointing my beam antenna in a certain direction.  One day, my wife asked me how come the touch control lamp in the bedroom was on.  I told her to turn the lamp off and watch if it would come on when I transmitted.  Sure enough, it did.  I disconnected the lamp from the plug and all the  backgound noise I had (S-7+) went away.  It seems that those things are not filtered properly and are noisy even when they are off.  BTW, the lamp might even be located someplace else in the neighborhood.

Good luck DE Bert @ KA2UUP
KA7GKN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 12:57:15 PM »

your noise can be coming from a myriad of sources.
Those folks telling you to kill all AC power to your home are in the correct direction. troubleshooting noise is indeed an arduous task!

If you take the time to review other posts regarding AC noise/buzz you'll be able to glean a lot of helpful information.

Keep in mind those giving you advice are not at your location and are simply tossing out obvious suggestions to try.

THERE IS NO SIMPLE SOLUTION!

You can have a noisy plasma TV or receiver. You can have a noisy computer power supply or router. You may have low voltage lighting in the home with bad switching power supplies. Your door bell buzzer transformer could be bad! CFL light bulbs if early production can be giving you grief! The new electronically controlled washer and dryer may be a source. Electric blankets, water bed heaters, to aquarium heaters are also noise generators

AND the list goes on and on.

We are all bothered by the consumer electronic junk out there. I fault the FCC for not imposing/enforcing stricter criteria for part-15 and the junk out there.

Sadly we Amateur Operators are the ones having to identify the bad products and try to appease the neighbors and tell them the "cheap/expensive" electrical/electronic gadget is junk!

Please return to this posting and let others know what you found as the source and the solution that worked for you. This will help the next Amateur with noise challenges!

Martin KA7GKN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: