Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11 meter to 10 meter conversion help  (Read 1254 times)
KE4NU

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2008, 07:15:17 AM »

Hi, I recently was given a SSB CB that had been hooked up backwards. I removed the diode and it works fine. I'd like to convert it 10 meters. I've been unable to find much online on this subject. Its a XTAL SS mobile radio (23 channel.) Any help on this project would be appreciated. Years ago I converted a Lafayette mobile CB to 10 and had a ball on 10, of course it was open then...73, Alan
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:22:58 AM »

What rig is it? Some are almost impossible to convert, but some of the older rigs, like the Sears Roadtalker, Lafayette Telsat and Cobra 146GTL, are fairly easy. The big expense will be new crystals, unless you want to build a VFO for one of the oscillators. A DDS VFO might be ideal for this kind of project!

The old 73 magazine used to have a lot of CB-to-10 articles back in the CB heyday, and the other ham magazines had their share, too. See if you can find The CB PLL Data Book and look up your rig in the index. It's one way to find out if your rig is an easy, or impossible, rig to convert. Also, Bob Heil, of microphone fame, once had a CB to FM book (not much on SSB), and Dave Ingram had another CB to 10 book that was published by Tab Books (again, not much on SSB).
KB1GTX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:29:54 AM »

you'll see there are two sets of xtall's with one set of four that go in ten kc steps and another set of six that are in 40 kc steps.
If you just add the difference To the freguency to one 40 kc's xtal will give for 10ck channels on 28 mhz.

but tuning the reciever will be the hardest part.

try  bomar or jan xtal,, they might be able to help with the proper loading of the xtals to.
KE4NU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »

Hi all, thanks so far for the info. The brand is XTAL, the model is XSSB-10, yes I've got a few old 73's. Back in the  late 70's I converted an old lafayette ssb cb to 10 meters, worked great and wish I still had it...73, Alan
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 12:20:09 PM »

check out CB City International www.cbcintl.com

the owner is a ham, he specializes in CB to 10M conversion as well as PLL data.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 02:51:04 PM »

See if you can locate a Sams Photofact Vol CB-93. It should have the repair, schematic and tune-up procedures for your radio. Photofact series are kept on file at some larger libraries, or maybe a college or technical school library, and are sometimes sold on the Internet.

You can also check with http://www.justradios.com/cbschematics.html#X and order their material on the XSSB-10.

Basically, if your rig has only a few crystals, it probably can't be modified (the FCC put a stop to easily-modified rigs after the Freebanders started finding new frequencies to operate on). However, if there are 10 or more crystals in the rig, it should be easy to figure out the mixing scheme for a crystal-swap modification.
KB1GTX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 04:07:38 PM »

""and tune-up procedures for your radio""

And remember that wire cutters are not a tuning tool!
KE4NU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 09:57:38 AM »

Thanks to all who helped and who had suggestions. Looks like I'll have a winter project...73, Alan
OH2FFY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 08:03:44 AM »

¨Some are almost impossible to convert, but some of the older rigs --- unless you want to build a VFO for one of the oscillators. A DDS VFO might be ideal for this kind of project!¨

Impossible ? , HMMM - that sounds like a challenge to me.:-)

I have almost completed a conversion - not for 10 meters  ,, but for 20 meters.

For more details see my homepage or join us on the CB2HAM group on Yahoo-Groups.

gregW:-)  OH2FFY
WE5I

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 07:15:43 AM »

I'm working the time versus cost factor here, and it seems like spending $75 on a Radio Shack HTX-100 from eBay will net you a more usable radio for 10 meters, where the time, energy and cost of converting a CB may exceed $75 and net a rig with limited capabilities and performance characteristics.

Good luck and 73.

Graham Welch - WE5I
GW0DIV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 04:13:35 PM »

An old friend of mine many years ago was reputed to have converted a multimode CB to 6 metres. I think it was a Hygain or Ham International?

Rhys

GW0DIV
K9COX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 05:03:35 PM »

Most of the conversions I am aware of were the other way around.
W8RPE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 12:11:56 PM »

A Yahoo group was started about a year ago or so dedicated to CB to 10m conversions. You'll have to search Yahoo groups to find it.
WB6THE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 02:47:58 PM »

An awfully LONG time ago when I was a teenager, and I'm 60 years old now, I converted a Laughing-ass.. errr.. I mean Lafayette CB set to 10M AM. Those old radios could be
switched to tunable receive so it wasn't hard to tweak the
RF amp and LO up just 1 MHz. The receiver could also work
in xtal controlled mode. So I went to the local Laughing-ass
store (back in the 60's) and looked at their xtal catalog.
Gimme this xtal and this one and that one. Well, "hold on my
friend",  declared the salesman who had a name tag that said W6XXX, what kinda CB set you got... so I explained as best I
could that many RECEIVE xtals, due to the CB set's IF freq
were acutally 10M xtals and I'm doing a 11 to 10 conversion, etc. And will put them in the transmitter slots.
"But ya can't DO that" declared the salesman. Why... I have an
amateur radio license. "Yes, but these are RECEIVE xtals..."
Oh, and DUHHHHHH don't they just oscillate when you put
then in a circuit....

I dunno what to do with a synthesized CB set. Today I'd
scrap it for parts and use them to build a new radio or I
would just go buy a 10M rig.

I have a Laffin-ass CB set that someone converted to 10M FM
and about 13 years ago I acutally worked a 10M repeater
in the Carribean on it.

As for what you have, it might be easy to do and it might be
more trouble than its worth, but hey its a project and you will
learn something even it you fail. Sure, you *could* go BUY something.  

You might fail in your effort, but maybe you won't.

CB sets what do they do is it 23 channels or 46 now-days or
something... I'm an AMATEUR RADIO operator and I've
forgotten. But IF you can convert it to 10M you have an
inexpensive 10M rig vs what an amatuer radio 10M radio
costs.

Go read up on PLL circuits it might just be a tweak.

But also, why can I go buy an FRS pair of HTs for $29.95
total but an amatuer radio 400 Mhz HT costs $200 and up.

NEVER keep trying and having FUN.

Alan,
WB6THE
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 03:23:26 PM »

In the 70s many CB radios lent themselves well to conversion to 10 meters.  I wsa a Pace Business Radio dealer and warranty station, and managed to get a line on Pace CB sets.  Most of the 23 channel radios could be converted in a matter of a half hour, if you had the crystals on hand.  Many of the 40 channel radios also could be converted very easily.  In most cases it was simply replace a single crystal in the PLL circuit.  Then repeak the RX and TX and you were on 10 meters.

But they remained channelized, which was the primary problem with conversions.  I began coupling the RIT in the radios to the transmit side as well, resulting in the ability to move a few kc either way on any channel. But it was still channelized, just now with a "crystal VFO."  

I had a circuit for installing a small VFO in the radios, but I only did it in one, and had trouble getting the RX to track properly with the TX throughout the whole range.  I never resolved that difficulty.

But conversion to a channelized ten meter radio was extremely easy.  A few minutes with a signal generator and a dummy load and RF meter and you were done.

The difference today is back then there were no ten meter transceivers on the market.  So a single band ten meter transceiver could only come from a CB radio.  Today that is no longer true.  You can buy a RS ten meter transceiver quite cheaply.

If, though, you just want the experience, it is a fun project.  Go for it

Ed
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: