Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a Wi-Fi beam antenna for notebook PC's?  (Read 813 times)
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 03:56:48 PM »

I am drafting a letter to my represenative and it will request the following....

That unless a release is from the initial provider (the cable company or Dish Company) of any internet service is included in the original contract provideing such such service to make such service free and open to 'Only Specific Person' or persons as stated in the agreement contract, all other persons not so stated specificly shall be considered as non users who are legally denied access.

In other words, only those person, persons, official institutions and or official agencies so stated will be the only legal people allowed to use the service and that such use shall require fair market value of the service by contractual agreement.

In other words just as music industry is currently sueing illegal downloaders of music without the payment of legal royality the bill if passed would also allow internet proviers to bring legal/ monitary compensation and damage actions against person or persons who do not pay for the internet service to the INITIAL providier.

Thus the primary internet provider could, if my law gets passed' force under contractual federal law university networks and or institutional networks to pay for the internet access based on a fee per user access.  

This will of course allow a massive influx of income to internet providers.  AND it would stimulate them to invest in expansion and continued improvement in customer relations.
KE6ANM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 06:46:04 PM »

After ignoring the HAM  COP WEENIES, like flies buzzing around, I use a  high power buffalo pc card or an orinoco gold card  with an external connector on the card, with a pig tail and either a small yagi or a small hersheys kiss type  vertical mag mount. both available on ebay all the time as a package. they work great
the hammy cops types, usually live in back waters
 that are behind the times and don't offer free wireless internet  that is usually available in cosomopolitan settings.
so ignore them.
buy the kit, then you know you have the right connector for your pigtail.
I even had a set up once with a small tv rotor, and a 2.4 yagi, it worked fantastic.
Just look for free internet connections offered by smart retail outlets, that want your business.
I use net stumbler, available on the internet as a free down load, it finds, and with a gps conected to the pc, logs and maps free access points as you drive around.
have fun, you will love war driving.
ignore the hammy cops wanna be guys...........bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
swat
splat!

KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 01:56:13 PM »

N5LRZ, want your wifi locked down, use encryption.  I would be more concerned with all the cameras at the 7-11's, street intersections, and along the highways.  Big Brother is tracking your every move!  Look up RWIS (Road Weather Information Systems) and in the large metropolitan areas they got us well covered.  I take it you do not have or use a cellphone.  Yeah, the man is tracking there too...
N4CQR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 05:38:50 AM »

by KE6ANM on March 6, 2009  -After ignoring the HAM COP WEENIES, like flies buzzing around-

Hehe! seems like everything this comes up hams turn into attornys and airwave cops. Sometimes you just have to laugh and move on...

Take a look at this:
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/11eleyagi.php

I have three buildings in the industrial park. One building houses the T1 and main equipment. I just use the above to beam the signal to the other buildings.
Works fine.

Good luck,
Craig

Oh, and 73's
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 08:06:38 AM »

Simply go to EBAY and look up "WIFI ANTENNA" in the ALL CATAGORIES section.  You will be bombarded with all sorts of antenna configurations for most any hardware.

As far as I am concerned, if it is ON THE AIR, it is open game for anyone who wants to "Hack" the signal.  In the WIFI world, it is called "WAR-DRIVING".

If you don't want others into your WIFI system your best bet is to either not use wireless equipement or be sure that your encryption is set up properly on your system.  Trying to ban this activity through the legal system is a JOKE.. Totally uninforceable so why bother.......

In many areas, there are FREE internet wireless systems open to public use.  One place that comes to mind is the ENTIRE CITY of Sante Fe, New Mexico.

73's
Gary - W5GNB
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: