The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu 857d  (Read 727 times)
KB3POQ

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:08:44 AM »

I'm looking into buying an 857d and would like to get what is need for mobile and as a base station.  Does anyone have any ideas what a good confguration is?  I have a FT8900 already as a mobile and a quad band antenna Comet UHV-4. Any suggestions would be great.  I do not have an antenna yet for HF mobile or base.  I also do not have a power supply or a tuner.  Just looks like I would have to spend an owful lot to get everything I need.

Thanks
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:21:58 AM »

Hi Gary...

For mobile, the Hi-Sierra mobile antenna has great reviews.  But there are other, cheaper ways if needed.
For base, I can recommend the Samlex 1235M (I like meters) for a power supply.  A wire antenna of some type will work if you have any supports in the yard.
How about a loop in the yard fed with open wire and a tuner?  Very easy build!

-Mike.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:08:51 AM »

The best thing to do is go slow...decide if you want to go mobile or base first. If mobile, go to Alan's site K0BG.com, everything you need to know! If Base start out with the ARRL antenna handbook. Review the Tower forum here and DO NOT RUSH into buying anything. I love my 857D mobile and would recommend it to anyone. Have fun and feel free to email me.

73 de Lindy
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »

The 897 is a very nice radio.  I run one myself for my HF activity--sstv on 20, 40 and 80 meters.

For mobile antennas I recommend a good screwdriver antenna with a remote control head inside the vehicle.

For base installs given you live in an area that has a lot of land around your house and no Home Owner Nazis to bother you I suggest you get the ARRL Antenna Book series (as many as possible).  Also there is a wealth of information on design, construction and theory on amateur antennas on the web.  

Just jot down your priority locations of concact and do your research to see which full size antennas you can fit into your situation that will enable you to contact those places/distances without compromise.

Research Research Research
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: