Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten-Tec Argonaut V  (Read 464 times)
KD6DXA

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2007, 11:31:44 PM »

Hello All,

I am considering purchasing a Ten-Tec Argonaut V for a primary rig at my tiny apartment QTH.  I am concerned about interference to our upstairs landlords, and the 20 watt output of this rig seems appropriate as it is more than a standard QRP rig but less than the typical 100 watts of a full size rig.  I work primarily CW, but I have been known to participate in an occasional SSB ragchew or contest.  What are your thoughts on this rig?  Just looking for general feedback and/or things to consider when I make my decision.

Zachary
KD6DXA
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 04:17:39 AM »

Good radio, very good ears. Can hear stations who will not be able to hear you, especially on a compromise antenna. Excellent and long lasting factory support; the Ten Tec reflectors are also excellent resources as well.

Sometime in the indefinite future you will probably be able to buy a 20 W in 500 Watt out solid state amp that will bring the Argo up to "big boy" power capability. Of course, many current tube amps will do that now, albeit with some heat and noise in the station.

It's not a do-all radio, it does what it does very well, but it will not put you on 2Meters. Has a few minor warts but the Vee is definitely a keeper. Suggest you browse through the searchable archives on contesting.com's Ten Tec reflector for more info.

But if I had a need I would not hesitate to make the call.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 04:28:17 AM »

Of course - you could buy any modern 100-watt transceiver and turn down the power to whatever doesn't cause a problem.  Then you'll have a full-power radio for portable, field day, mobile, etc operation.

Phil - AD5X
N4LI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 06:06:15 AM »

I own an Argo V, as well as several other radios.  The Argo is a fine radio (save for the well-documented transmit audio issue that plagued early-run radios).

The pluses for your apartments installation is that the radio has nice filtering, is easy to use, and has a very small footprint (I was amazed how small it was as I took it out of the box).  I use the radio for QRP, so, the ability to go to 20W is not important to me -- QRP ain't 20W.  But, as a primary radio, you might find that a bit limiting; if 20W causes no RFI to the neighbors, you may want the occasional 100W; it is another 7dB, or so.

Another thing to bear in mind -- no internal antenna tuner.  You'll need something outboard.  And, no 6m or 2m.

The Argo V also isn't cheap, for what it is.

If I were buying a radio for an apartment, I would consider one of the "Swiss Army Knife" radios.  Something like a Kenwood TS2000 might be a good choice, as it does everything.  I own one, and like it (except for the finals that blew in the 10m contest - $225 job).  Other choices might be an Icom 746 (I also own one), etc.

GL with it.

Peter, N4LI
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 09:01:07 AM »

I have an Argonaut V.  I like it.  It was my main QRP rig (with the power dialed back) until I got a K2.  It's still my main HF digital rig.

There are a few quirks in the radio's ergonomics, but it has enough of a front panel that it isn't overly menu-driven as are so many newer rigs.  I get good reports on SSB, and the QSK operation on CW is first-rate.

The receiver sounds good, but since it lacks a tight roofing filter, it doesn't handle crowded band conditions as well as a contest-level radio.  Of course, nothing else in the under $1000 price range will either.

The difference between 20 W and 200 W is just a bit more than one S-unit.  That can be important in a DX pileup or a contest, but I haven't found it to be a big deal in most cases.  OTOH, I'm a QRP op most of the time.  20 W is QRO for someone like me.

If you do decide to go with the Argonaut, there are two accessories that I strongly recommend.  The first is the TenTec 937 power supply.  It is a very well-made, very quiet linear supply.  It's only 10 buck more expensive that the similar Astron unit, but the improved quality is well worth it.  The second is the MFJ-971 tuner.  The dual-needle SWR meter normally is set for 300 W or 30 W scales, but it can be set up for 30 W or 6 W scales--perfect for use with the a 20 W radio.
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 11:12:40 AM »

Opps ... a typo!  That should be 20 W and 100 W (not 200 W).
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 02:26:39 PM »

All comments here are valid.  You can lower the power of other rigs, and the Argonaut is not "cheap".
But, since you do mainly CW, with "some" SSB, you will enjoy this rig.
A little secret...
After use, I have found myself "dissapointed" with many of the standard rigs.  But, with Ten Tec gear, the more I use it the better I enjoy it!
You just might get "spoiled" using the little Argonaut!

-Mike.
WA4JM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 06:41:26 PM »

The nice thing, It's easy to operate!
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 06:23:47 AM »

Ditto on the above comments, but please note that the Argonaut V has been taken out of production since last Fall.
I've had mine for 3 years and appreciate its many fine features---including the 'General Coverage', its large/clear read-out, on-the-fly bw filtering, good looks, and its superb keying characteristics!  The sole negative for me is the missing RF Gain control.
73---Ernie
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 07:17:20 AM »

Go for it. The Argonaut V also makes a good general coverage receiver with clear AM audio. I had one for three years and it's a good little rig.

Tanakasan
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 09:01:13 AM »

Zach,

The Argo V is out of production.

A Yaesu FT-450 for $640+- is a great deal, AT version for $100 more.

That way, you have 100 watts when you require.

That's my take.

73 K1WJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: