Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cw  (Read 1967 times)
WD5KCA

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 06:23:49 PM »

I'm sorry but this weak post gives real trolling a bad name.

Speaking of bad names, that last name sounds like something he would like to do if he ever met a girl.
K0RFD

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 06:48:22 PM »

Not bloody likely
WD5KCA

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2004, 06:50:22 PM »

It might happen some day if he wins the Lotto.
WB5HZE

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2004, 07:35:47 PM »

One of the many good reasons why I prefer CW to all other modes is . . . it's completely free of no-code trolls!
N7NRA

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2004, 09:00:58 PM »

Bob,

CW usage will probably stop about the same time people stop shooting muzzle loading rifles. In case they didn't teach you this in public school, muzzle loaders were used from the beginning of firearms (500 +/-100 years ago) up until some years after the US Civil war (about 140 years ago). Up until the mid-1800s, there were no cartridge loading firearms, so muzzle loaders were the norm. They became less and less popular as cartridge arms began to proliferate. Over the last 130 years or so, we have made great strides in firearms development, with smokless powder instead of the old, dirty, weak and corrosive (rusted barrels) black powder, jacketed bullets (instead of bare lead) that allow higher velocities resulting in flatter trajectories and require less sighting compensation to correct for the effects of gravity on the bullet, and allow the bullet to have more energy at long ranges. We have firearms that load them selves from magazines (sometimes improperly called "clips") or various types of belts designed to hold ammo. We have superb telescopic sights, laser sights and infrared devices that allow our military to sight their rifles accurately in total darkness. We have fully automatic firearms that will continue to fire hundreds of rounds per minute as long as the trigger is depressed and the ammunition supply is not interrupted. We have rifles that will launch a bullet almost four times as fast as the bullet that comes out of a muzzle loader. Our powder never gets wet and useless because it's contained inside a weather-tight metal cartridge that also protects the priming device. Even the most simple of modern hunting rifles having a manually operated action can fire 10-20 times in the time it takes to fire twice with a muzzle loader, and the shots are more accurate and have more power.

So what's all that got to do with CW? Just this:

Despite all the advantages I've just listed for modern firearms, which make the muzzle loaders technically obsolete, there are still hundreds of thousands of people who shoot muzzle loaders for hunting, target competition and just plain for the fun of it. There are MANY states in the US that have special hunting seasons for muzzle loaders only. If you ever travel to Albuquerque, New Mexico, and visit some of the gun shops, you'll find more muzzle loaders for sale than you will modern firearms. New Mexico is very active in promoting muzzle loading hunting. Firearms and ammunition for muzzle loaders is under constant improvement and development. If General George Washington's troops in the American Revolution had been equipped with modern muzzle loaders, the Revolutionary War would have been over in 6 weeks instead of 6 years.

Same with CW. Even if the testing requirement is dropped, there will still be tens of thousands of radio operators who will continue to practice it simply because they enjoy it. It will be given special status in contests, just as muzzle loaders get special hunting seasons. It's no more "useless" or "antequated" than muzzle loading rifles. As long as they can still be used with the effectiveness that they were in their own era, there are people who will use them, for the fun of it and for the challenges involved.

All that having been said in defense of CW, I'll now admit that I don't particularly care for the mode. I learned it well enough to get my license 25 years ago, but have forgotten about half of it. When I get my new shack completed in a few months I intend to re-learn what I've forgotten, but I don't expect to make a habit of using it. Furthermore, I'm not going to crusade to have it outlawed, even though I'd personally like to see the testing requirement dropped. That would be about as stupid as trying to get muzzle loading rifles outlawed because they're "antequated" and "obsolete".

Go ahead and learn enough Morse to get the band priveleges you want, then stop using it and forget it. But take my word for it, you'll never live long enough to see it disappear from the Ham bands.

Regards,

Stew
N7NRA
K0ZN

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2004, 09:00:59 PM »

Think CW is "antiquated" and "obsolete", Huh??  I guess a LOT of people operate in the "obsolete" arena!

Just like those who ride motorcycles (if they were smart, they would avoid the rain/heat/cold and just drive a car, right?)

Just like those who enjoy and ride HORSES... jeeze, talk about REALLY, REALLY  "obsolete"!!!

Just like all those who climb mountains (if they were smart they would just take helicopter ride to the top, right?)

Just like all those who bow hunt (if they were smart they would just go to the grocery and buy the meat)

Just like those who run marathons (if they were smart, they would take a bus or taxi)

Just like those who learn to fly "small, slow, dangerous airplanes" (if they were smart they would just hop on an airliner)

What about those people who are so "antiquated" they spend hours and hours designing and building their own HF receivers and transmitters... that is certainly "antiquated" when they could just go buy one!

Surprise!! A FEW people have the self motivation, self pride and work ethic to take on a challenge.... in Ham Radio they are known as CW operators. They take pride in NOT doing it the easy way. (They also enjoy making contacts and have fun when conditions are so sucky that the no-code guys are bitching and moaning about conditions and turning off their rigs and going to watch TV.)

Like the Harley riders say: "If you don't understand, I can't explain...."

K0ZN

P.S.  I'm curious; why don't you use your call letters when you post??
V73NS

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2004, 11:54:50 PM »

They really need to require valid callsigns to post in these. That would end the no-code trolls and many other chickens who are hiding under assumed names.

Why CW?
Perfect for DX'ing.
No language barrier.
No accent to understand.
Fast.
Efficient.
Demonstrates pride in the hobby and one's skills.
No so-called "processing experts".
You can watch TV at the same time and no one knows.
Does NOT need to be +20 for someone to talk to you.
Lots of DX on CW.

Ask and someone will help you. Nothing is stopping you, NOTHING.

In my 22 months here;
14,500 CW QSO's
------18 Fone QSO's

Further questions?

73 OM TU QRZ?
Neil V73NS
TECH2005

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2004, 03:30:01 PM »

Ok everyone thanks for all the info.  It looks like I won't be upgrading for about two more years.  You are all invited to my websties:

www.hamsexy.com

forums.hamsexy.com

NJ1K

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2004, 02:56:10 PM »

What a dope....
W9SZ

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2004, 06:38:33 PM »

Morse Code (CW) may be old but it's not quite antiquated yet.  I'd suggest you learn it, try it and find out for yourself under which conditions it will or won't get through compared to other modes.

One of the remaining frontiers of ham radio is the the microwave part of the spectrum. Most QSO's above 1296 MHz take place using CW.  Those of us who actually OPERATE up there know the advantages from experience.

Check this web site out for the description of a new record in one of the "final frontiers":

http://www.mgef.org/zms_241_vucc.htm

Note in particular the technical details of the station.  How many of us have the technical capability to put together such a station (or two, so you will have someone to work)?

If you prowl around some of the links on this page you'll find actual recordings of the QSO's you can play back.  See if you can hear the CW in the noise! (I can.)

Now imagine doing something like that yourself, and go for it!
WILLY

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2004, 06:49:47 AM »

by TECH2005 on December 16, 2004

"When is cw or the useless antiquated morse code going to be deleted?"

What "useless antiquated morse code" would that be?  I'm only familiar with the CW and morse code that ham radio operators have uses for scores of years - I'm not familiar with the one you have mentioned.  Did you forget to explain that part?

" Us real hams"

You forgot to tell us what you meant by "real hams".

"want to move ahead with the future of ham radio"

Ham radio is moving ahead to the future just fine, or haven't you noticed?  

"and not hold on to a past that is rapidly dieing. "

Just because the past is advancing away from us, does not mean that it is dying, or that it should be forgotten, does it?
WILLY

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2004, 06:56:55 AM »

by TECH2005 on December 17, 2004     

"Is this for real? "

Sure.

"There were no real responses"

Not at all.  I saw some.  Mine was.

"so everyone had to make personal attacks against my name or,"

Well - -  that should be telling you something about the value of your original post then, shouldn't it?
Maybe that was all it was worth.

"oh god, my spelling. You can't do better than that? "

Sure we can.   I'll demonstrate.

"You have no response to the message so you attack the messenger!!! "

Since YOU'VE brought it up now, I'll comment.
You are abviously not very smart, and get your jollies by trolling.  You might want to consider finding another method of getting your entertainment, and this time be sure it is one that does not reveal your pettiness.  If you insist, there should be a multitude of forums to be found on the internet, where your childishness should fit right in.
WILLY

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2004, 07:02:36 AM »

by TECH2005 on December 18, 2004     

"Ok everyone thanks for all the info."

You're welcome.  

"It looks like I won't be upgrading for about two more years."

That's your choice.   For you, it might be a good one.

"You are all invited to my websties:

www.hamsexy.com

forums.hamsexy.com  "

Excellent idea!!   Maybe I was wrong about you.  You've come up with a brilliant idea!

Here's what you do now:    You go monitor those websites of yours, and post there a whole lot.  Then, everybody from here that wants to communicate with you will know where to find you and will come there and reply to you.  Everybody that "attacks" you, as you put it, will stay here and not bother you.   Isn't that a wonderful idea?  
Now you just toodle on over to your websites and hang out and wait.   Ok?
EA2PA

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2004, 02:24:40 PM »

You hit on the nail,

Cw is about challenge. That is what ham radio is about, isn't it?

Besides, when comparing modes, it turns out to be easier to make contacts on CW when conditions are not very good. SSB requires more power. So CW does have some advantages.

The fact that the CW requirement is going to be dropped over here will no doubt bring a decrease in the number of hams using this mode in the long run. I think if there hadn't been this requirement I would not have learned it myself at all.

Learning the code takes some effort. It is not as simple as running a psk program. So who will bother to learn it when it is not required for the exam?

Regards,
EA2PA Tony
W4EWJ

Ignore
Cw
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2004, 03:52:51 PM »

I got a response for you creep...any dumb son of a
bitch can speak into a mic...requires no effort,
no ability, training, thought, intellect...knowledge
of HF. I dont give a damn about you or your desire to
see CW go away...cuz it aint pal...get used to it and
crawl up to 27mhz ... where you belong...if you can
even figure out how to get there.

Having puked that up...for all you SSB Hams...its fine
its an important part of the hobby...aint knocking you
but I sure despise these monkeys that know absolutely
nothing about cw, HF radio, communications, SSB or any other mode trying to presume to tell those of us
that do what they want or dont want.

ewj
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: