Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 New Techs in the house  (Read 3223 times)
KC8JRV

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2009, 10:39:29 PM »

I'm told my two kids (ages 12 & 14) passed the Tech Class license at the Ham Club exam class tonight! Hooray, but I couldn't be there!  As an old rusty General, I don't recall just what privledges they now have.
Do they have to wait to appear in a database at the FCC before beginning? Since they didn't learn code/CW (I've still got an HW-16 packed away) they probably want VOICE, and soon.  Just what voice privledges do they have, given that I have two or three 2 meter HTs and a pack of FRS units of varying reliability.  (I know, I know, dig out the manual and read up...)
but at 1:30 a.m. working second shift, I'm looking for a faster answer, as I won't see the kids until next weekend. I'm looking for a way to surprise/reward them both.  Any suggestions?
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:29:32 AM »

ARRL website
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 04:09:45 AM »

www.arrl.org
They will probably want to start with 2 meter FM repeater operations.
They do have the old novice privileges too, so if they learn code they can put that HW16 to use!
Check out the website!
73s.

-Mike.
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 04:42:18 AM »

Congrats on the kids getting their tickets.

Refer to ARRL freq. useage chart for operating freqs. they can utilize.

10m voice 28.3 to 28.5 will give them HF exposure, so look for openings this summer, 10m will be open to some extent for sure.

A 2m HT would be a great gift to give to each Dad!
Present Yaesu 2m HT is nice, model VX-170 if not mistaken.

Get to know the Freq. use chart, & make sure they understand it well.

73 K1WJ David - ticket at age 15 1979 - my Dad K1WW(sk)Ray, was my Elmer.....
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 06:09:19 AM »

GUYS, you just humored a guy who admits to being A GENERAL CLASS and I qoute "old rusty General" license holder and is so damn ignorant as to NOT KNOW that the privledges and frequency authorized frequency and modes are located in the FCC Rules and Regulations.  AND IF HE DID he was too damn lazy to look up this simple information for himself.

SO I WILL REPLY...

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND use it.

KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 10:17:50 AM »

They'll need to wait transmit until their callsigns appear in the FCC ULS database, about a week usually:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp

or

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAmateur.jsp

Current Tech (and General) privileges can be found (with some effort) here:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov

under Title 47, Part 97:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=fbb82208b81bcbf1cf0904c70b6a2652&rgn=div5&view=text&node=47:5.0.1.1.6&idno=47

However these are a far more readable charts/lists:
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bands.html

For HF voice privileges (except a 200kHz section of 10m)they'll need to upgrade to General, though they have some HF CW privileges and VHF-UHF phone privileges with the Tech.

They can use the FRS channels of the FRS radios *BUT* if these radios also have the GMRS channels (some do) you (or another (adult?) family member) MUST first get a GMRS license ($80 for five years if I recall correctly) which will cover use of GMRS (additional channels, higher power, more antenna options, etc. than FRS) for the entire, immediate family.
An amateur license gives NO GMRS privileges.
See:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=general_mobile
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 10:45:53 AM »

N5LRZ, good answer. It seems like a non-trivial percentage of people who post questions here are simply lazy and want the answers spoon-fed to them. And that's a shame because they could learn SO much more by doing a little research.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 01:04:07 PM »

Congrats on the kid's success!

Icom offers a nice band plan download that is current:

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/downloads/Default.aspx?Category=181

73 de Terry, WØFM
KC8JRV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 01:52:01 PM »

Thank you all for your quick response. I guess there is some hope of the calls showing up before they "need to be used" at our major club function.

Sorry I POed N5LRZ with my honest inquiry...  I thought I was quite clear that it was 1:30 a.m. and that I was sleep deprived... unable to reason where to look, nor having the time to look up regulations.

The kids were asleep, the ARRL manual is missing (in their backpack?), the wife has packed up the Radio Shack primers from Gordy West, and I didn't know the  latest revision to Tech priveldges that  were apparantly covered in the class (but that I can't attend, due to work).

So I turned to my trusty Elmers on Eham for some quick info and to crow about my two budding hams. If I can just kindle their little spark of interest into a hobby or show them what all they can now DO with Ham radio, perhaps we have a chance of getting them INTO the hobby.  

However, with attitudes like N5LRZ "dumping" on an obvious honest request for help, I think the future of this dying hobby is written on the wall!

Again, let me say thank you to the six of you who responded positively to help direct me to the correct place to dig it out for myself. I knew I would receive help by coming to Eham...
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 01:58:02 PM »

Re K3AN...

Intellectual lazy people are far too common in todays amateur world.  People need to get off their keester and start to do some of their own time actively engage in their own research thru their own efforts before giving up and asking for help.

In addition, I know from personal experience that getting down and actually doing the work in the research of a project or two that I learned many things in addition to that which I was seeking.

And the thing is, before the web I did not have the internet to make research easier.  I went to the library and READ books.  I looked up stuff in my own library of books.  I begged and borrowed books to do research on projects.  The result was that even though I was not looking for many things I learned, never the less I learned them by the sheer act of actual focused reading during research.

Things which I later used in later projects, the Ol OHHH YEA I remember reading that over on this web site or in that book--let me go look it up again.

N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 02:03:33 PM »

RE JRV...'

ARE YOU honestly telling me you have never ever heard of GOOGLE, or YAHOO?

ARE YOU honestly telling me that you did NOT know that the FCC Rules had the frequency and mode allocations for each licnse class?

Where have you been for the last 10 years that you have not seen or heard of either GOOGLE or YAHOO?

I am definately NOT BUYIN your allocation of I did not know.  You were just intellectually lazy looking for someone to spoon feed you information.  
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 03:15:18 PM »

Kirk,

Welcome to your two new hams. I hope they will have many happy years in the hobby.

As to LRZ you might want to read some of his "contributions" to other threads and forums...then consider the source.

Rick N6NKN
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 04:56:21 PM »

My view is that you want to get them onto HF as soon as possible.

I never had children, so I only have an impression that teens, especially early teens, will have a problem having FUN on repeaters.

Maybe, y'all would have FUN studying to upgrade?

Bob
KL1SE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 10:53:08 PM »

Hi, Congrats on the two new Techs in the house. I have been reading eHam for many years and until now I have ignored people like N5LRZ writing there rants.I find him and others like him to be the reason why young people and others are NOT interested in Ham Radio. N5LRZ thinks he know's it all and by the way he answered your question he is telling all of us that is his thinking.
Ignore this person and others like him, we Hams are not all like him. You asked a simple question and you expected a intelligent answer and all he did was show how much of a bully he is. Keep up the good work 73.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 03:19:18 AM »

Re N6NKN..

Know this bud...

I say what I mean
I mean what I say.

I call things as I see them, blunt, strate forward and without any/NONE regard for the other persons feelings what so ever. I truly dont give a damn if feelings or hurt or not. IF the other person cannot accept the PURE FACT of my absolutely factual statements then that would Be THEIR PROBLEM not mine.

NOW lets review the case shall we....

We have a GENERAL LICENSE HOLDER who is either so damn senile they cannot even remember that the RULES AND REGS contain frequency and privledges OR THEY are just a flat out lazy slug wanting the world to kiss their ass and spoon feed them every damn thing.

NOT TO MENTION the Tech Class LICENSED OP should know before they even go to take their test in the first place.  AND IF they do not know then they need to be stripped of their license.  

YOU may want to buy this guys line (that would be your damn problem) but I am damn well NOT BUYING his guys bull crap.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: