Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40 meter Foreign Broadcasts....  (Read 724 times)
N5LRZ

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2009, 05:22:48 AM »

At the end of this month the SW broadcasts on 40 meters are going to cease transmissions on a large chunk of the 40 meter band, not all of 40 meters just a large chunk of the lower frequencies--mostly in the Advanced and Extra part of the 40 meter band.

The Extras and the Advanced people are going to hear more silence. Something they are not accustomed to hearing.

BUT there will be a price to pay. Think on this. IF we have X number of foreign broadcasters currently spread out on the entire 40 meter band as it stands. AFTER the silence on the lower part all those on the previously on the lower part if they wish to continue to transmit on 40 are going to have to relocate to the remaining UPPER frequency segments. This will mean MORE foreign broadcasts than ever before in the upper segment of the band as the number of foreign broadcasters begin to concentrate into one smaller band segment, the General Class part of the band. IF the General Class people think that its croweded up in their part of the band now just wait until all those previously lower frequency stations start to jam themselves into the smaller upper part of the 40 band.

It will be interesting to say the very least on those frequencies that are not covered by the foreign broadcast band.

YOUR thoughts?Huh?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 06:01:31 AM »

It might behoove you to read the agreement.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 06:02:43 AM »

Glad I'm an Extra.
N6NKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 06:18:03 AM »

My thoughts?

As usual LRZ you are off base and don't know what you are talking about. You have a brown attitude about everything. It's that attitude that got you banned from QRZ.

Troll.

Rick N6NKN
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »

Re NKN...

The pure absolute truth is that I told QRZ net web master voluntarily to remove my password because he told me what to say and do.

I volumtarily removed myself from that particular web site just as I have voluntarily removed myself from other political web sites because they attempted to tell me how to think and post.

Only one person has the right to tell me what to do other than the FCC.  HE who signs my paycheck.

Please feel free to post your comments.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 07:10:37 AM »

RE BG...

Ok lets do the math.

If we have X stations on Y band.  

Now lets cut Y band in half leaving upper half intact and kicking out the station off the lower half.

Lets for the sake of calcualtion take it that half of the cleared stations do not want to leave 40 meters and decide to shift upward to the still open for their use band.  

Math..

Say 50 stations total.  25 are OK with 25 to be ousted.  Lets say 12 of those ousted decide to move upward to the still open band.  Now rather than the former 25 stations on the upper band we now have 25 plus 12 or 37 stations afterwards  That would be 50% increase in the number of stations with each foreign broadcast station using AM mode and 10 mhz or more per signal

NOW factor in the number of Generals using those upper frequency ranges.  These General Class people are going to face (in theory) one hell of a lot more interference from foreign broadcasts.

So YOUR thoughts on what if the Worst of the Worst happens?
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 07:15:41 AM »

Re CRY...

I completely agree with you.  I am glad from a completely self centered point of view of course.

It is my opinion that the International Organization shuld have deleted the Foreign Broadcast from the entire 40 meter amateur band.  BUT they did not do that and probably in fact given the history of the topic of foreign broadcast on 40 we were lucky to get what we got.

Anyway I agree with you in that now the General Class people have a little extra incentive to go for the Extra Class License.  Will they go for the gold?  Well we will have to see...

KC5HMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 07:26:18 AM »

It used to bug me so I took action......I upgraded to Extra.

Herb
KC5HMC
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 08:40:05 AM »

RE HMC...

GOOOOOD for you. Glad to hear it.  

W8SOL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 10:01:37 AM »

The way I read it, the Broadcast band was gaining
a lot more than they were loosing. The old 40 meter
broadcast band was 7.100 to 7.350 MHz. As of 29 March
2009 the new 40 metre broadcast band is from 7.200 to
7.600 MHz. How does that cram them in the 7.200 to
7.300 Mhz area ?
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 10:07:18 AM »

Because LRZ does the math that proves his point, not the facts.
K1BXI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 10:20:23 AM »

I found very little SW broadcast stations in that segment last evening (3/29) and some nice ongoing qso's after the CQ WW contest was over at 8 PM EST. Perhaps most SW stations have vacated after all.

Here in the North East (I'm in Maine) the EU SW stations can be heard on 40 most of the day. By mid afternoon they are real loud as a rule.

Last night around 7 PM EST with the contest going full blast I heard loud stations close by in New England,and at the same time loud stations from Russia in the 7.1-7.2 part of the band without all the previous SW interference. Sure seemed nice, hope it lasts.

If 6 meters is called "The magic band" for VHF, I think 40 meters is the magic band for HF. No matter the sun spot cycle there is always propagation to somewhere most of the time. That somewhere, not always predictable, is the magic.

John
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 01:52:09 PM »

It's almost 5 PM Eastern Time and I hear "zero" foreign broadcast stations all the way up to 7.2 MHz.  Above 7.2 MHz it's loaded solid with broadcast.
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 04:07:23 PM »

glad I work only the digimodes on 40 and for that very reason. See you on the waterfall!!
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 07:53:26 AM »

RE SOL...

By the way love the suffix.

Anyway, you have to remember there are a hell of a lot of General class people on the 40 meter band who even if there were just 10 more stateions would claim the entire FB Spectrum was decending on their personal favorite freq.  

A lot of General License holders are going to view the removal from the Advanced and Extra frequencies but not theirs with a suspicious eye.  If ya want proof just look how the General License holders furiously bitched and moaned when the reallocation of the band plan happend and the Extras got more frequency expansion on certain bands compared to what they got.

And as I stated previously, IF the International Radio organization had done the right thing they would have moved all foreign broadcast stations off the entire 40 meter band.  But it was not to be.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: