Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drake  (Read 313 times)
AA5WG

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:56:55 PM »

Hi to all:
I have a Drake C-Line. This station has no modifications.  I had one other C-line with all the  Sherwood mods and it greatly improved the receiver.  

At present my stock R4C has poor audio compared to the radios of today.  Some of the radios today sound fantastic, almost like hi-fi.

(1) Is it possible to replace the audio section of this stock R4C with a computer sound card to get high quality audio?

(2) Or, what high end audio modification is recommended or possible for this nice receiver?

Thank you.
Chuck - AA5WG
Cedar, Michigan

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 03:00:52 PM »

Something's wrong.  The R-4C is a fine sounding receiver, just the way it was designed.

I'm guessing something's wrong with yours, or you have it misadjusted.  If IF alignment is poor, that would make for "bad sounding audio."  Ditto goes for passband tuning maladjusted or out of alignment.

My R-4C sounds spectacular either with the MS-4 or  with headphones, which I normally use.

WB2WIK/6
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 03:51:25 PM »

Some have criticized the sound of the R-4C. I do think my TR-3 sounds better than my stock R-4C. Sherwood Engineering does have replacement audio amplifier (and other things) at http://www.sherweng.com/ham.html

WA2JJH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:59:30 PM »

I would check a few of the old caps in the RX audio and demod. sections.
  As Steve( WIK )mentioned, no such animal as a crappy sounding Drake.

You could just "Shot Gun" fix the rig. Replace all tubes, and caps.
in the supected sections.

How good or bad a rig sounds can be ultra conversational.
We have Tube vs DSP technology. We do not have a rig as a standard.

It is kind of hard to diagnose. For a Quick fix, you cannot do any harm by trying a  few 3inch dia min.4 ohm magnet speakers. Their diaphram muct not have any tears or holes in it((( Wink))))
AA5WG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 04:08:35 AM »

Thanks guys.
Any ideas on audio mods?
Thank you.
Chuck
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:47:43 AM »

You can do just about anything with money!
Is adding a "sound card" practical?... No!
Now, the Drake was noted for its good audio.
So, is the audio stage the problem?  How does the audio sound at the detector?  The problem could be the audio stage, the IF stage... actually any stage could have a problem.  There could just be a tear in the speaker!
Before replacing parts, let's do a little trouble shooting first.
With receivers, you work backwards through the rig.  Introduce a good audio source at the speaker, then the input to the audio stage, the at the IF, then the RF stages to isolate the problem.
THEN you can start to replace parts!
73s.

-Mike.
AA5WG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 06:00:10 AM »

Mike and all:
Thanks for all the info!  This radio sounds normal compared to past Drake rigs owned.  However, it can't compare to the new rigs.  It would be a fun modification to greatly improve the audio range.
Chuck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: