Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Anybody Tell Me About......  (Read 645 times)
KC7BDP

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2003, 12:06:32 AM »

......a Galaxy III Transceiver?  I've been offered one for $50 by an older Ham now living in Northern Baja California (Mexico).  Comes complete with HV supply and old Electro-Voice mic.  What I do know is that it's a 3 - band (80-40-20) CW/SSB rig;  provision for an external VFO, and uses sweep tubes (6KF5?) in the final circuit.  There's an empty octal socket behind the VFO unit on the main chassis, what's that for?  And of course, who would have a manual/schematic for it?

I've had my greasey little fingers in tube gear before (mostly old Fender amplifiers, and re-tubed a few old Ham rigs); so I'm neither afraid of nor unaware of the cautions when dealing with tube gear.  Would like to get the caps and any necessary tubes changed and any other problems solved about the time I get on the other side of the CW test and pick up my General.  It won't be the "end-all, be-all" rig; but a lot of fun if it cleans up to be useable.

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy
KC7BDP
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 01:47:10 PM »

It's old, alright, from the mid-1960's.  Sold by World Radio Labs, and your descriptions sounds right.  They also came out with a Galaxy-V (five bands 80-40-20-15-10m) and then later a Galaxy GT-550 which was kind of an updated Galaxy-V.  None were considered great rigs, but they sold a lot of them.

The manual might be on the bama website, didn't check.  I think the final tubes were 6HF5's (not 6KF5's).  If the E-V microphone is one of the better models, you may have found yourself quite a deal, since some E-V mikes are definitely worth more than a Galaxy III!  (The E-V 664, for example, is easily worth $100.)

Good luck!

WB2WIK/6
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 06:55:49 PM »

You'll find a number of guys checking into the Vintage Sideband Net with Galaxy V's and Galaxy III's every Sunday on 14.292/3, at 3:00 PM EST. Plus, you can come and ask questions if you're having any problems with the rig or any vintage rig for that matter.

Pete, wa2cwa
KC7BDP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 01:33:35 AM »

Thanks, guys.  I'll have to check the Model # on the mic.  It will be a while before I have it on the air....think it needs a little TLC (and some new caps!); and I still have to break down and study for the 5WPM. No, I not going to wait for that test to go away; I've "just gotta do it" - hope to heck I don't get castigated on the air for not taking back when it was 13WPM.

I'll probably hold off on getting the Galaxy back in shape 'til after the test.  Inhaling the rosin smoke  wafting off a chassis under repair sounds a LOT more like fun than studying CW (Sorry - it's my technician nature) and I'd never get the CW done!

Jimmy
KC7BDP
KF5U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 09:36:46 AM »

I have had a Galaxy III transceiver since about 1966. I can make you a copy of the manual if you like. Just send me an email. J D Lambright KF5U
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 10:46:50 PM »

Never owned one but a friend had one back in 1967 and I used it once.  I seem to recall it was LSB only on 75/40 and USB only on 20.  It would work CW.  The octal socket was for an external VFO or calibrator or VOX, as I recall, but I may not be remembering well as I only used that rig once, at Field Day.  It seemed to work OK and during that period of time there were quite a few of them around.  The Galaxy V was the newer version with selectable sideband and five band coverage.  The same friend sold his III and bought a V and I used it maybe twice.  If tuned properly so as not to stress the tubes too much, they were actually pretty good rigs.  I'd say $50 is a fair price but not an exciting or "good deal" price, unless the microphone is, as Steve says, something unusually good.  

It is certainly a rig that will allow you some fun doing the tech work on it, and it will make you some good contacts once you get it on the air.

Good luck with the test.

Season's Greetings
Ed
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 01:26:35 AM »

You may have to jumper 2 pins ( heater circuit ) on some of these VFO plugs.. 1 and 2 or 7 an 9.. so check this too if it don't work at first plug
HAVOC92

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 05:31:22 PM »

My grandad had one of these units, and I now own it.  I inherited several large and small boxes of tubes, radio equipment, books and manuals along with it.  It's a discussion piece that sits in my living room.  I know one thing, the tubes in the radio are worth more than $50.  As far as I'm concerned you got a good deal.  I've been offered a substantial sum for mine; but, turned it down for sentimental reasons.  Can't see letting it go for now, though I may sell off the boxes of tubes that came with the radio.  Many of them I can't use.  

I have hooked mine up just to listen from time to time. I normally run CB and Don't have a Ham license, though, I've considered it.  I Have a Modified President Madison with uppers and lowers sitting next to the computer.  And that keeps me busy enough for now Wink  
Again, enjoy.  Nice to see another one of these still in operation.

havoc
Radio handle: Stormtrooper
Grandson of W9ENE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: