Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swan 350/117C power cord connector  (Read 1939 times)
W6DPS

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2005, 12:16:52 PM »

I have a Swan 350 with 117C power supply that appears complete except for the power cord.

Is there an online source for the power connector and/or wiring diagram to use this power supply on standard 120VAC/60Hz?

The radio looks to be intact and I have been cleaning it up--would like to see if it is still working.

Thanks,
Dave Smith
W6DPS
WB5YYX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 01:07:52 AM »

W6DPS-

It sounds like you really have an excellent find for yourself. I collect and repair antique radios including classic Amateur Radio equipment like you have. Before you do anything else, I would carefully visually inspect the inside top chassis and bottom chassis of the transceiver and power supply. This is routine to detect components that have discolored from overheating, faulty solder connections, wiring issues, etc. Then I would find someone who has a tube tester and test all the tubes one at a time. If you do not know of any local Radio Amateurs who have a tube tester, try a local antique radio club. Once you have done this check the receiver by turning it on but with the AF gain all the way down. If there is only a slight amount of AC hum this is acceptable. Anything much louder you will have to replace the power supply filter capacitors. Does the power supply AC cord and interconnect cord physically appear in good condition? This will get you started. When you have done all this report back on this topic on what you have found. I am happy to assist you. I hope this will help down the correct path!

Best 73's,

Bob Scupp WB5YYX
Life Member ARRL, QCWA,
New Mexico Radio Collectors Club
Member Antique Wireless Association
Former ARRL Rocky Mountain
Division Vice-Director 1990-1994
Volunteer Examiner ARRL/W5YI Since 1985
Charter Member Estancia Valley ARA
ARES

WB5YYX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 01:14:06 AM »

My apologies! You did say you did not have an AC cord.
You can find an instruction manual for the Swan 350 on BAMA's website:

http://bama.sbc.edu/swan.htm

73's,

Bob Scupp WB5YYX
Life Member ARRL, QCWA,
Member Antique Wireless Association
Volunteer Examiner ARRL/W5YI Since 1985
Charter Member Estancia Valley ARA
ARES

W6DPS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 03:04:27 PM »

I have found a manual, checked the tubes, cleaned the cobwebs out fo the chassis, etc.

I still haven't found a connector to feed power into the 117C.

I also discovered the radio has a mod to allow selectable sidebands.

Dave_W6DPS
WB5YYX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 06:12:13 AM »

Dave-

Thank you very much for the update on your Swan 350 w/power supply. Ok on the mod. That is really interesting! That power cord may be a problem finding one. I do not know if it is generic but you could try an electronic surplus store if one is available. Are there any Amateur Radio outlets (stores) where you are? Another idea is to post your need for the AC cord on Amateur Radio Swap and Sell websites in your area. Or list it on the air if you have any local Swapnets? Check with local clubs or research Swan users groups on the Internet. If you need any more assistance please send me more e-mail or post it here.

73's,

Bob Scupp WB5YYX
Life member ARRL and QCWA
Antique Wireless Association
Charter Member Estancia Valley Amateur Radio
Association
ARES

K0JKJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 06:30:37 PM »

Dave

Newark Electronics carrie replacements for the Cinch-Jones connectors used on the power cord. The hood is not metal but is plastic instead. The original cord has a panel fuse holder in the hood.

The Replacement connector has enough room to mount a panel fuse holder in it (on the side of the hood) so make sure you do that to protect the power transformer and have a safe unit.

I have built several of these power cables and use a three wire power cord for added saftey. Computer power cords make great low cost three wire power cords and are cheap at thrift stores.

For added protection of the power transformer I would replace all the electrolytics  in the power supply Newark also sells them.

Here's a great site on why and how to replace the caps
http://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm the manual is available for free download on the net (bama.sbc.edu ?)

Jim
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 09:48:28 AM »

David -

I am fairly certain that the Swan trasnceivers used the Cinch-Jones "Rectangular Connectors" (also used in Drake and other amateur gear as well as military equipment in the 1970s and 1980s).  Cinch-Jones is Chicago based and connectors are still made and available from either Cinch or Molex (who purchased Beau - who also made this connector - interchangable).  Mouser has these in stock.
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=placeorder._orderoptions

Cinch Jones connectors are on page 899
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/622/899.pdf

Molex Beau connetors are on page 905
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/622/905.pdf

w9gb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: