Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX 60 Microphone  (Read 1256 times)
N4PSE

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2004, 03:01:33 AM »

Any suggestions for a readly available, reasonably priced mic for a DX-60? D-104s seems very common. How about any of the newer RS mics? Thanks for your input.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 08:51:09 AM »

I built a DX-60A in '66, and not sure if the circuit's the same as the DX-60 (non-A); but my DX-60 "liked" a high-Z, very "crisp" microphone that aids in articulation by producing crisp, distinct highs.  Otherwise, it sounded dull and muddy, and difficult to understand.

That's probably why the D-104 was such a popular choice: It's got tons of output, and produces a lot of "highs."  Although a low-cost "poor man's D-104" that was also popular at the time was the "Green Hornet" disk mike, which cost only about $9 new when the D-104 was $18.95 new.  Boy, does that age me!

Based on my results with the DX-60A, I'd go for a high-output, high-Z crystal mike.  I doubt anything Radio Shack has fits that description, but lots of "old" mikes from the 60's would.

WB2WIK/6
N4PSE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 12:16:01 PM »

Thanks for your advice. I don't think I'll have trouble locating a used D-104. Jim
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 01:28:16 AM »

Jim -

If you find a dead D-104 (bad mic element), suitable ceramic or crystal Hi-Z replacements are available from Mouser.  Good luck with it.

w9gb
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 09:39:16 AM »

Replacement Hi-Z ceramic or crystal microphone elements for the Astatic D-104 can be found on page 1136 of the current Mouser catalog (bottom right of this page):

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/620/1136.pdf

w9gb
N4PSE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 12:37:23 PM »

Thanks- I may need one. You never know what E-bay brings!  Jim
K7JBQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 12:27:46 PM »

A D-104 seems awfully fancy for a DX-60.
Any old crystal mike will work fine, such as the ones Electro-Voice used to make.

Bill
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 02:25:30 PM »

Ok, now you've done it.  I almost forgot about the Electro-Voice mike I used with my DX60 back in 1964.  And I have racked my brain trying to remember the model number.  It was about 7-8" long, slim rectangle and dark gray in color.  It sat in a light gray cast metal base that it easily lifted out of to become a handheld mic. May have even had a rocker "on-off" switch on the front if I recall correctly.

I remember this mic sitting on my desk in my college dorm room with my DX60.  I am attempting to document all my previous stations and any help with a model number on this EV mic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for stirring up good memories.

Terry, WØFM
WA2DYA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 12:03:58 PM »

I have an Electovoice model 630 that works well with my DX-40.  I believe it is a dynamic type element.  I would be surprised if the microphone doesn't work with the DX-60 because the speech amplifier is very similar.

---  CHAS
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 05:24:19 PM »

I'll echo WIK and say stick with a high impedance crystal or ceramic element type microphone.

The newer RadioShack mics are probably dynamic or electret condenser type of a lower terminal impedance.

I'm in the throes of putting an old Heathkit novice station (DX-60, HG-10, HR-10B) on the air. The transmitter and v.f.o. seem sweet, r.f-wise, but the audio quality in the a.m. position is poor on mine. Pretty sure I'll find some 40 year old components in the audio section that have changed value.

I'm testing right now with two different high impedance microphones, a Lafayette Radio PA-40 public address mic (previously untried) and an E.F. Johnson desk mic made by Turner that generates good audio reports when used with my DX-35.

The Astatic D-104 is a good choice. I like the earlier versions better without the pre-amplifier in the base (Silver Eagle, Night Eagle, et. al.) These newer versions of the venerable D-104 will work with the DX-60 but you'll have to by-pass the pre-amp in the base of the mic if you want to run the mic to the front panel microphone jack without doing more extensive modification inside the transmitter. Good Luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: