Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK31 Help  (Read 464 times)
KB3MBO

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:40:23 PM »

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased an Icom 735 and have been running it with computer control.  I tried psk31 today with my rig and am happy to report that everything seems to be going well.  I connected my rigblaster nomic and right away I was able to control the computer and start typing away.  After a bit of time, I could not make any contacts via psk31 on 20 meters today.  

I have just one question.  I use a MFJ-949D to tune my antenna.  When I transmit in psk31 the meter on it does not move - indicating the power output.   When I use the rig for ssb all is well.  Should I be conserned about this?  Any thoughts would be appreciated. Either I did not set the rig up correctly, or I did not have much luck havng people hear me on psk31 today.  

Thanks to all those that read and answered my last post.

KB3MBO
W9GMT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 08:00:45 PM »

First, I'm wondering whether your 735 is going into transmit mode.  Can you see your own signal on the waterfall?  What software are you using?  perhaps others can comment on how to setup and make sure that your sound card is properly configured.

N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 09:08:13 PM »

There's a couple of things you can check.

1. When you are transmitting, does the LCD display show the XMIT block in the upper left corner?

2. When you switch the radio to AM and hit the transmit button, does your power meter in the tuner move?

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 05:55:07 AM »

Seems that the two previous posters are on the right track.  Endure that your transmitter is going on TX.  BTW, is your computer equipped with a serial port, or does it use USB ports.

I use a RigBlaster Plus at home to an ICOM IC-746.  When I changed computers some years ago, I had to buy a USB to serial converter an set the ports accordingly in the software I was using for digital modes.  Check to see that the right port is set on the software.  As one of the above posters said, you should see your own signal in the waterfall display in the computer.  Also, by using the monitor function in the IC-735, you should be able to hear the warbling of your PSK-31 signal going out.

To tune for the best output, I normally adjust the power in CW to about 50 watts.  I then adjust the PSK-31 signal for an output that will not activate the ALC.  This should give you 20-25 watts of very clean signal.

Good luck and let us know how you make out on this.

Bert @ KA2UUP
KB3MBO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 08:58:57 AM »

Thanks to all that have replied.  

I use MixW for pbsk and my IC-735 does indeed say "transmit" when I click on the tx button.  When put into FM and tuned with my antenna tuner, the power meter for watts out does indeed go on.  When put back into ssw the rig will transmit but the tuner power meter fails to read anything.  

KB3MBO
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 09:03:40 AM »

In SSB mode you dont get any power output without audio modulation. Verify that the audio is getting to the radio audio input. Check that the computer sound card output is turned up sufficently.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 09:25:15 AM »

Just a suggestion, you might try a similar posting in the "Digital" section where the computer gurus hang out.

From your description it just might be a software problem.  If it is a softwere problem then it is those darn computer gurus who are the people in the know.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »

Probably what K5ZDW said.  It's happened to me often enough.

How are your computer sound card 'volume controls' set up?

When you unplug the LINE OUT (or PHONE OUT) plug from the sound card, plug in headphones, and press the XMIT button on the PSK31 software, do you hear a PSK31 tone in the headphones?

Charles
KB3MBO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »

Thanks for the continued discussion and posts!

When I listen to the line out (or phone out) on my rigblaster after pushing the XMIT button, I do indeed hear a psk31 tone.  

What mode should I have the radio in when using psk31?  Should I have it in ssb or cw?  Things were a little easier with my more modern IC-703.  

Thanks!

KB3MBO
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 12:10:05 PM »

Rig should be in SSB mode. CW mode is just an on-off carrier with no modulation.
KF4HPY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 06:22:22 PM »

Hi, when using PSK-31 use USB throughout all the bands.  If you arent xmitting into the tuner, is the comport selected, the correct one?  See control panel, systems,device manager and see which port is selected for the interface.  Does the radio's power meter show anything? Sometimes the com port changes to NONE for no reason.  If you are using Digipan go to Configure and check. E. Cravey 73
N6CIC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 10:44:09 PM »

As said above, tune up for about 50 watts on cw, then switch to USB.  When you activate xmit with the software, do you have your mic gain turned up enough that you get a reading in the ALC bar on your meter?  Then back the mic gain back down so you don't overdrive the signal.  You definitely should see about 50 watts on the power meter on the tuner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: