Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorcycle Communications - Passenger to Rider  (Read 264 times)
KE5HJO

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:21:49 AM »

This is not exactly a Ham radio question but we are experts in communication and this is a communication questions.  :>)

I have a motorcycle which I ride often and even sometimes with my wife.  I'm looking for an economical way to have rider-passenger communcications.  There are, of course, bike accessories on the market that allow for this but they generally run $450.00 and up.  I'm basically broke so I need something cheap.

Looking around the house I discovered that I have several Audiovox hand held walki-talkies that the family and I use when at the mall or around town.  They work just fine and they have connections for external mics and earphones and they have VOX.  Can anyone see a reason why I could not use earphones (under helmet), microphone (placed inside helmet near my mouth), and these radios (tucked away on bike) for communications?

tks...
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 03:48:50 AM »

Yes this could work fine and you could even use this for bike-to-bike communication.
However, VOX could be a problem because most HT do not have a way to control the VOX sensitivity.
Which means that when riding your bike, at certain speeds the VOX could engage on it's own.
A PPT switch would be better and it allows you to speak without your wife hearing it (could come in handy from time to time ;-))

Also make sure you invest in good microphones or chances are that the background noise will be stronger the your voice.

BMW R 1150 GS Adventure with Autocom intercom
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 04:05:03 AM »

Your biggest problem is noise.
Most of the "intercoms" and such are designed to block or minimize wind noise, etc, while the FRS radios and things such as "blue-tooth" headsets are rarely designed for that... they pass the noises easily.
Since you already have the radios, a small increased investment in headsets might prove worthwhile, and might not.  All you can do is try them!
Good luck with the project!
73s.

-Mike.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:13:17 PM »

I also looked into something like this, only for ATV riding.  Problems arise with noise in the mics, ability to hear, dead batteries, and cords and cables hanging all over.  Go with a tried and proven commercial product.  I believe the snowmobile folks have one of the better comm units out there, but its name eludes me right now.  The product I saw all mounted on the helmets, no cords, cables, etc.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 10:07:27 PM »

Two taps on right shoulder, Pee break--gas station.
Two taps on left shoulder, hungry.

Slap on the back on my head--stop looking at other women.
Tap on the back of my head--pay attention to the road.

Bob
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:13:52 AM »

LOL

A couple of years ago me and my wife were riding our R 1100 GS in the Belgium Ardennes. Great twisty roads so I was really enjoying myself.
My wife on the other hand was not. In every corner she shouted via the intercom that I was cornering to fast.
After a couple of bends I disconnected the cable from the intercom box to my helmet and all was quiet again.
A few corners later I could hear her shout even without the intercom system!

Nowadays I ride mostly solo ;-)
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 05:33:43 PM »

check out this systerm:

BIKEINTERCOM.COM

It uses two small Bluetooth transceivers mounted on the helmet with dual earphone earpads and a boom mic.

The system works GREAT and I have a range of about 1500 feet.  Not only can you talk to your passenger but also another bike rider/driver.

73's
Gary - W5GNB
KE5HJO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 04:27:08 AM »

Those might just be what I'm looking for.  Thanks for the link!!

de KE5HJO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: