Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Practice  (Read 241 times)
N0TRJ

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2009, 10:02:25 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good CW practice program for PC? I have been out of Ham 12 years. I left off at about 13-14 WPM and need to rebuild my speed. We used Cassettes back than...LOL! I am looking for something that will generate random authentic QSO's and not just random letters or numbers.
KC9QQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 05:22:08 AM »

I recommend the program "Just Learn Morse".  This program is very easy to use and provides many options to tailor the code practice.  It can send words, code groups, text files and code groups.  I have been using this program to improve my own speed.  Also, it is free!  However the author accepts donations to support future development.

It can be downloaded at:  www.justlearnmorsecode.com

Fred, KC9QQ
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 12:19:06 PM »

Also check out G4FON's trainer at http://www.g4fon.net/
WE5I

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 01:54:34 PM »

First, don't look at anything that shows dots and dashes by eye. Re-learn by ear only.

Second, re-learn copying CW.

Third, re-learn sending CW.

I did all of these wrong, and it cost me.

I really like "Just Learn Morse Code". It is available for free download at:

http://www.justlearnmorsecode.com/

After you re-learn the basics, and if you want to get into contesting assisted by your computer, nothing is better than "MorseRunner" which is also available for free at:

http://www.dxatlas.com/morserunner/

Morserunner gives you a very realworld contest/DXpedition scenario where you are the contester or DX op. It's fun and will raise your copy speed dramitically in a short time.

It's good that you are back into CW. Welcome back, and I hope to hear you on the air.

73 de WE5I
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 03:57:25 PM »

W1AW is still goin.
Bob
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 05:55:20 PM »

I strongly recommend the T-R method, since you're already licensed.

T means transmit, R means receive.

It's where you get on the air and make CW contacts, starting out slowly and building up in speed as you make more contacts.

There is absolutely nothing as effective as that.

WB2WIK/6
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 06:47:03 AM »

I'm using the G4FON program. I've got the character speed set to 20wpm, but sending speed of 10wpm. I figured that was a good place to start, since I tried 20wpm, 15wpm, and 12wpm, and couldn't write fast enough (years of bad writing habits catching up to me). I'll bump it up to 12 or 15 if I can start writing faster.

The W1AW code practices are OK, but I don't think you're likely to run into anyone during a QSO that likes to quote long passages out of QST magazine. Smiley

-- Tom
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 08:10:14 AM »

I gotta say there are plenty of QSOs at all speeds just for the copying in the CW portions of the bands... and not just the "novice" portions!
Plenty of good listening there!  And, once you get to copying OK, feel free to make a few contacts.
Once you have the letters down pat, it's practice, practice, practice!
There are a lot of hams "re-learning" the code!
73s.

-Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: